[CWN-Summit] Node placement info

steve at neobio.org steve at neobio.org
Mon Oct 11 14:50:19 CDT 2004

Hey folks,

Steve Goldberg from Cleveland and the Tremont Wifi Neighborhood.  I was able to shift my group's strategy from setting up a bunch of hotspots to creating a mesh network.  We are going to start with a test three nodes to prove the concept. (Cleveland is a very conservative town). I have few questions and this may be more for Sascha, Zack & Dave, since we have decided to use the CUWiN model to start, but if Rob Flickenger or any body else has insight all are welcome.

1. My impression was that CUWin was using an 802.11a backhaul and schpritzing the immediate environs with good ol' 11b, but the equipment only has the single antenna.  Am I mistaken?  Are you using the Metrix Mark II kit with the a/b/g radio board or the Mark I with just the  g board?

2. Rob, is the g radio board backward compatible to b? If not, can we get a kit with a b board substitution? (Any unincorporated, nonprofit, (but w/ fiscal agent to admin no money), ignorant constituent group programs that Metrix can help us on?)

3. Using the hyperlinktech 8.5dBi omni antenna, is there any special criteria for node placement (besides the resident's permission).  How high is too high? What is an optimal distance between nodes?  Fudge factor for tree cover?   Is there anything that I should be aware of besides the obvious?

4. Is CUWin installing lightning arrestors (like MIT roofnet)?

That's all for now.  I'm sure once we get going, more will emerge.  We want to get the test case up to generate some local enthusiasm and open up some wallets to continue.

Thanks,
Steve