[CWN-Summit] NYTimes: Where Good Wi-Fi Makes Good Neighbors (NYCwireless Community Hotspots)

Dana Spiegel dana at sociableDESIGN.com
Thu Oct 21 22:07:48 CDT 2004

An interesting article on some of the work I am doing with NYCwireless
to help build community hotspots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/21/technology/circuits/21spot.html?
oref=login&pagewanted=print&position=
--------------------------------
October 21, 2004

Where Good Wi-Fi Makes Good Neighbors
By IAN KELDOULIS

MOHIT SANTRAM, a student at New York University, happily shares his
high-speed Internet connection with whoever taps the wireless signal
available within about 300 feet of his apartment in the East Village.

  But Mr. SantRam offers more than just the opportunity to piggyback
anonymously on an Internet connection. People picking up his signal are
first directed to a bulletin board where they can post and read
neighborhood information and gossip.

This arrangement comes courtesy of Neighbornode, a project created by
John Geraci that is part of a bare-bones software package provided by
NYCWireless, a volunteer advocacy group instrumental in turning places
like Bryant Park into public hot spots. The group is encouraging people
to set up their own hot spots and electronic bulletin boards to let
communities of otherwise anonymous urbanites find one another.

  In Mr. SantRam's case, he discovered a neighbor who had the same
favorite band. A trip to a Boston to hear them followed, and the
neighbor made a small donation toward Mr. SantRam's monthly Internet
access bill. Other residents have used his Neighbornode to complain
about the block's noise problems and formulate action.

  "One guy wrote to me and thanked me," Mr. SantRam said about a user
who logged on from a nearby cafe while visiting from San Francisco. "He
sent money to pay for the cost. It was nice."

Providing this level of interactivity on a small-scale wireless node
used to require a large-scale understanding of Unix. But Mr. Geraci, a
graduate student in N.Y.U.'s interactive telecommunications program,
said the goal in creating Neighbornode was to make the process easier.
"If you can install  Microsoft Word on your computer, you can set up a
community hot spot," he said.

  Instructions, open-source firewall software called M0n0wall and other
files are at www.nycwireless.net/hotspot. While a dedicated computer is
required, just about any old machine will do.

And the equipment needed is nothing like the clutter formerly necessary
to do the job. "Before I got this working," Rob Kelley said of the
newly configured node he runs from his Chelsea apartment, "I used six
appliances, a bunch of routing and an antenna set. I ran two wireless
networks, an internal network and my own local server."

  It was the type of mess only an I.T. project manager like him could
live with. Mr. Kelley currently runs his Neighbornode hot spot on a
Soekris 4511, a small single-chip computer without a hard drive that
sells for about $200. "Now all I have is two small boxes and relatively
decent-looking antenna," he said. "My wife is really happy."

Free community access appeals to more than people who consider
themselves guerrilla techies. For over a year, Judith Escalona has been
exploring ways to bring Wi-Fi to East 106th Street between Lexington
and Third Avenues, the location of MediaNoche, a new-media gallery and
digital film studio of which she is co-director.

  At the beginning of this month, Ms. Escalona attended a workshop on
setting up community nodes offered by NYCWireless, and she was
impressed. The gallery already provides wireless access inside, but
ultimately she wants to "blanket the whole area." Neighbornode, she
said, may fit the bill.

As with other Wi-Fi projects, there are concerns. For some people,
opening their virtual space means a loss of privacy. Mr. SantRam, for
instance, no longer does his Internet banking from home, since others
have access to the Internet through his system. Instead, he trusts the
landlines of the computers at his school. Mr. Geraci and Dana Spiegel,
a director of NYCWireless, feel that with standard security measures
and common sense, there should be few if any problems.

Another fear is that precious bandwidth will be soaked up by thirsty
neighbors, and monthly access charges will skyrocket. Monowall permits
the person who sets up the hot spot to allocate bandwidth and maintain
a healthy personal reserve.

  If these do-it-yourself nodes catch on, a new form of urban
communication may emerge, taking advantage of the coincidence that a
Wi-Fi hot spot and a city block are roughly the same size.

  "Different nodes as they get set up can talk to each other," Mr.
Geraci said. "They can forward information from one to the next. You
get this grapevine of information at the street level."

Dana Spiegel
sociableDESIGN  ::  www.sociableDESIGN.com
123 Bank Street, Suite 510, New York, NY 10014
m  +1 917 402 0422  ::  f  +1 760 454 3690  ::
e  dana at sociableDESIGN.com