[CWN-Summit] Need help gathering evidence

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Tue Feb 1 11:08:01 CST 2005

There appears to be interest at the FCC on cracking down on folks who abuse
the unlicensed rules by using always on equipment primarily to shut out
others, if such allegations could be proved.  I'd like to go after the
worst offenders and easiest cases first.  In particular, I am looking for
any equipment manufacturer or service provider that explicitly advertises
itself as holding channels open whether they are actually needed or
not.  The more explicit the advertising (e.g., "use us and you will shut
out all 802.11b devices using listen before talk") the better.

At this point, I do not want to try to go after folks like SBC who use the
cheapest possible equipment and who blast at the loudest power.  We want
something really deliberate.  OTOH, simple suggestions for improving
efficiency (such as any factory set defaults that could be changed to make
it less likely devices will pollute)  are also good.

I am hoping to file a request for a declaratory statement from the FCC that
would explicitly prohibit certain forms of marketing and would urge
industry to manage the spectrum effectively through simple steps (such as
shipping devices with the most efficient default settings).  I don't know
that I'll _get it_mind. All I've gotten so far is some unofficial interest
in knowing about potentially abusive practices, but I think there is an
opportunity to help make spectrum use more efficient.

Harold Feld
hfeld at mediaaccess.org