[CWN-Summit] Second National Summit for Community Wireless Networks!?!

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Jul 26 08:58:27 CDT 2005

Hi all,

More and more people have been e-mailing, phoning, taking me aside at
conferences, and even stopping me on the street to ask the question on
everyone's mind, "When is the next National Summit for Community
Wireless Networks???"

In the past year, interest in Community Wireless Networking technologies
has exploded -- we were at the forefront of the movement when we met
last August in Urbana and last year's participant list reads like a
who's-who of today's Community Wireless leaders.  The first Summit was a
seminal event in the world of Community Wireless Networking -- and
honest critiques of the technologies available (and no-nonsense
straight-talk) are needed now more than ever.

We've been working hard on the logistics for the Second National Summit
for Community Wireless Networks and hope to have things nailed down
relatively soon.  First, for those worried that they may have missed the
announcement, let me just say that it will _not_ be next month.  Our
summit coordination committee has been hard at work soliciting potential
partners and sponsors for the next Summit and we're deciding between
multiple different cities.  The big hurdle we're currently facing has
been finding a funder to ensure that we can publicly announce the next
Summit.

To help speed up this process, we've decided to open up the search for
funders to the rest of the folks on this list:  Know an angel investor?
Have an in with a business that wants to support Community Wireless
Networking?  Work for a foundation that wants to see more information on
CWN technologies made available among developers, implementers, and
policy-makers?

We're interested in your ideas and support -- drop me a line if you'd
like to talk more.

In solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath
Summit Director