[CWN-Summit] BBC Story: Wireless hijacking under scrutiny

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Thu Jul 28 09:36:21 CDT 2005

Indeed, I had a friend email me with a question
the other day.  He lives in San Francisco and asked:

"An open wireless network just popped up on my
laptop in my apartment. How can I tell if it is
meant to be open or if someone just left it open by accident?"

My advice was to look at the name of the
network.  If it had a name, and was open, you
could reasonably assume that the person left it
open deliberately.  After all, if they knew
enough to change the default for the name, then
they can be presumed to know enough to enable
WEP.  OTOH, if the name is "Lynksis" or some
other default name, odds are good the person just left it opne by accident."

This is not great reasoning, but it was the best I could offer.

Worse, I occasionally have the problem, when
sitting in my back yard, of having my neighbor's
wireless signal be stronger than my own.  Since
one of my neighbors (I don't know which) has an
open network blasting at full power with no
defaults changed, my Powerbook will join my
neighbor's network by default if his/her signal is stronger.

Harold