[CWN-Summit] RE: [Openspectrum] Spectrum updates

Patrick Leary patrick.leary at alvarion.com
Wed Jun 29 17:37:26 CDT 2005

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Harold. So much to reply to!

I remember the arguments about TCP/IP or Ethernet vs. ATM or token ring or
etc. for that matter. But all those cases do not actually apply, as the
"spectrum" in those situations happens to be encapsulated in wire or glass
and it is not like the general public had the ability to physically tap into
those lines. However, in a shared spectrum environment that is essentially
what is happening. I agree (assuming you do as well) that the old Part 15
rules actually play to the lowest common denominator -- the dumbest and most
brutal systems wins. Accordingly, investing in "nicer, more efficient, and
smarter" is a risky game.

And I agree that the rules for 3650MHz-3700MHz have many favorable
components. I especially like the registration requirement, since the
practical result is no garage door openers, cordless phones, or other
consumer devices will exist in the band. And it also at least makes one
aware of who, where and what else is out there and gives a prayer of chance
of coordination. So even from the start, it is a much cleaner slate. Add to
that the "contention" requirement and the clear intent to refuse to certify
systems whereby it seems to be designed to prevent other systems from
working, and yes, it makes for a nice place to experiment.

But who wants to experiment (other than the academics)? WISPs and others
want to be able to deploy gear and sell services. And they want to be able
to do so with a level of quality that gives them some chance to compete.
Consumers want service (at the most base) and high quality choice (once the
base need is met), not experiments.

Our reconsideration does just that: it enables those in the most rural areas
to deploy immediately, without need for the contention requirement. Such
really is not necessary in rural areas; the market will not sustain enough
wireless competition to make the frequency unusable. And our filing gives
WISPs a choice they will NOT otherwise have. They can go with an 802.11
variant OR they can choose Canopy or they can choose some WiMAX or 802.16
variant or whatever. The current rules strip them of that choice.

And even if the Wi-Fi crowd does not join the .16h unlicensed co-existence
effort (only fear and anti-competitive behavior prevents them from doing so,
certainly not any lofty "public good" argument) we will still come up with a
protocol (Alvarion chairs the TG) because we know it is the long term
interest of the license-exempt market (where we still gain about 50% of our
revenue).

I do not know to whom you have spoken about the reconsiderations, but if all
they interpret is WiMAX, WiMAX, WiMAX, then they are reading it with tinted
glasses. While sure we wish for the band to WiMAX POSSIBLE (after all, we
are about the only domain in the world where this band cannot be used for
technologies like WiMAX, but NOT EXCLUSIVE to WiMAX), we are not asking for,
nor can it be even remotely interpreted that we are asking for WiMAX
favoritism or exclusivity.

You ask "why must every band be WiMAX compatible?" Oh I don't know, why does
ANY band need to be 802.11 favored?

The U.S. continues to drop in the global broadband rankings -- 16th last I
read. And it is not our lack of unlicensed spectrum that is exacerbating the
problem. The U.S. has as much or more unlicensed as about anyone. But one
could very easily argue that the market's lack of access to suitable
licensed spectrum does play a role, though the extent is fairly debatable.

Our filing enables ample, in fact more, opportunity for unlicensed rural
WISPs, with less barriers than the FCC R&O. We asked for full (i.e. ALL
50MHz in rural areas) unlicensed, while retaining the exclusive zones and
registration. The message to WISPs with our filing is "go get 'em" -- build
out the rural space where no others can make a go of it. But our filing also
enables larger groups who might have the audacity to aggressively deploy
given the ability to deliver wireline equivalency (or better) QoS in the
MSAs. What's the foul here? People in those MSAs already have a duopoly of
"choice" for their broadband. Our proposal will enable the consumer to have
real choice for high quality broadband. Leaving the urban areas for
unlicensed does zip to benefit consumers and it does not break the duopoly
in the dense markets.

In summary, our reconsideration, regardless of opinions about our
intentions, enables:
1. more choice for consumers
2. more choices for unlicensed WISPs (Wi-Fi or WiMAX or etc. today)
3. faster time to market for all operator flavors
4. the ability to deliver high QoS where the duopolies already dominate
5. major investment to the space
6. global economies of scale

By contrast, the R&O does not of these.

Kind regards,