[CWN-Summit] Update on FCC situation

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Tue Mar 1 17:06:27 CST 2005

I have been making calls today.  The situation is moving in a more
favorable direction.  The relevant decision makers are getting our emails
and see broad popular support for mesh as well as high-power.

Key issues on which decisions have not yet been made and where comments may
prove helpful:

1) Allowing low power mobile devices in the band is critical to expanding mesh.

2) Low power mesh requires non-exclusivity and cheap equipment.  The
Commission should not impose overly conservative interference protection
criteria that drive up price.  Flexibility has been critical to the success
of unlicensed as a networking solution.

3) Mesh devices must be allowed to communicate with each other in a
peer-to-peer fashion, rather than requiring mesh devices to communicate
with a high power base station.

4) Any system of licensing or registration must be non-exclusive; the
Commission must not create a "first in time, first in right" licensing systems.

Remember, things are turning our way.  Be polite, be informative, and BE
PERSISTENT.

Harold Feld