[CWN-Summit] CUWiN Hack Night Nov. 11, 2005 6pm AND Community Radio/Wireless Barnraising Nov. 11-13th.

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Nov 2 15:54:12 CST 2005

Hi all,

Two great events, one fantastic weekend.  ;)

First, the next CUWiN Hack Night will be November 11, 2005 starting at 6pm.
This will be an extra-special Hack Night since community wireless folks from
across the United States will be descending on Urbana for the Community
Radio/Wireless Barnraising we're hosting that weekend.  As always, drop me a
line if you think you may attend.

So second, we're looking for interested Community Wireless folks who want to
participate, organize workshops, and get involved in the Barnraising.  For
anyone who likes to hack, learn new telecom tech, etc. this is a golden
opportunity.  Here's more info from Prometheus Radio.

***

Subject:  Calling All Techies!   Radio Station Building Nov. 11th-13th

hello community wireless geniuses of champaign-urbana and beyond!

as many of you have heard, a wonderful group is building a brand new
radio station november 11th-13th at the new independent media center
space! there will be hundreds of volunteers in town, and we've thought
of some great ways for the CUWiN and wireless community to get involved
-- and it's easy and fun for you too.

it's really exciting for us to be building a community radio station in
the hometown of one of the strongest community wireless organization in the
world.  we wondered -- how could make space for brainstorming between
radio geeks and wireless geeks, radio organizers and wireless organizers
-- space for them to share their different strategies and skills? please
read the below note and sign up to join us at the barnraising!

1) there will be constant tech work on the radio station throughout the
barnraising -- we'll be building the entire radio station over the
weekend! andy gunn, prometheus' technical director, would like to invite
-you- to work a shift on the radio station! YOUR TASK: let him know:

	-- what days and what hours you would like to do radio building
	work

	-- your general interest (software for studio transmitter
	links? automation? soldering)

and then just show up at that time!  the technical work on a barnraising
can often be chaotic, so if there are 13 people working on automation
and 2 working on the board, you might be shunted there.

email: andy at prometheusradio.org to sign up for a shift in tech paradise!

2) in the next few days, take a look at the schedule we'll post at
http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana.  you'll see a number of wireless
workshops there, from software behind mesh networks to cantenna
building.  it would be great if you could help out with those, or be
around to answer questions! cantenna building will likely happen at 3pm
friday, opposite the tower raising -- as there isn't a lot of room for
more than 15 people or so to work on the tower, we're offering cantenna
wireless building as another rockin activity for folks to dig their
techie teeth into.

so watch for that schedule at http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana

3)  help out and attend the barnraising in general!  you wouldn't
believe the amazing conversations you can have with brilliant
telecommunications lawyers and crack solderers as the three of you haul
pots of vegan chili up 2 sets of stairs.  really, it's the best bonding
experience ever!

we need your help as we throw together the logistics of this conference.
if you have an hour to spare helping with childcare, food, setting up
workshops, manning registration, or anything at all, email
kate at prometheusradio.org today!

let us know if you have any questions, and we'll see you at the
barnraising!  register today at http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana .

hannah s.
prometheusradioproject

our next radio barnraising is november 11th - 13th!
join us in urbana, illinois --
http://www.prometheusradio.org/urbana --
and build a radio station AND a community wireless project!

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President