[CWN-Summit] Katrina relief

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Sun Sep 4 17:38:04 CDT 2005

Some of you have probably already been in touch with Sascha and
others.  I wanted to update folks on this list about what is going on.

Friday, the FCC had a conference call about how the license exempt
providers can help restore critical facilities in the area devastated
by Katrina.  Part-15.org is taking the lead on organizing responses
from individuals and small organizations willing to send volunteers
and equipment into the zone.

It has been a real mess so far.  The commercial folks have no idea
what to do with the non-commercials.  Also, Part-15.org is being
overwhelmed with the scope of the crisis, the difficulty in
coordinating with federal and local authorities, and the number of
volunteers coming in.

I've been working with Sascha and Paul today and I know they are very
frustrated with the inability of part-15.org to tell is where to
go.  But there is something of a chicken and egg problem here.  they
need to get everyone to fill out their forms to coordinate with
authorities who will go in where.  But people are not sure what to
commit to the effort and whether they can usefully volunteer without
knowing where to go or what they can do.

I would urge people to use the part-15.org process for the
moment.  If you can, please self-organize teams using the forms
provided and await instructions on where to go.  If we cannot get
clear instructions from part-15.org in another day or two, we will
start working with other folks in the impacted area to run a parallel process.

I also hope people will use this list and other lists to
self-organize.  If we can assemble our teams and describe our
capacities to Part-15.org, they will hopefully be able to deploy us
swiftly.  I know Paul has been working on this in Chicago today and
has pulled together a team of folks and possible funding, even
without knowing from part-15.org where to go.

This is not the way I would want to do it, and a project for the
future will be planning our own emergency response.  But for now, I
think we should work with the current structure and avoid (a) giving
up in frustration, or (b) trying to route around it at this time.

Harold Feld