[CWN-Summit] Invenio

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed May 24 06:43:06 CDT 2006

Hi Dave,

I've worked with Inveneo folks during post-Katrina disaster recovery and am in
regular contact with several of their core people.  I believe they are still
working on identifying their best options for WLAN deployment, but e-mail me
off-list and I can put you in contact with them.

--Sascha

Dave A. Chakrabarti wrote:
> http://www.inveneo.org/
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on this list is familiar with Invenio? They're
> listing a $2k donation as covering the cost of a solar powered computer
> workstation in a village. I'm guessing this doesn't cover the cost of
> the central server system or the Wifi infrastructure, but that still
> sounds like a viable price point given that solar power tends to be
> expensive (from what I've read / heard so far).
>
> Could others with more experience comment on the pricing levels? These
> are presumably thin clients, capable of being remotely managed, which is
> a very interesting architecture to deploy. What would you guys budget
> for total cost, say for a typical central server, one outstation, and a
> suitable uplink? Just trying to get an idea of how many villages need to
> be wired for the costs of the central station to come down to something
> manageable. I'd love to work on a similar project next time I'm back in
> India, if anyone's interested and thinks they could find funding for it.
>
>   Dave.

Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President
Free Press       *** CUWiN               *** Acorn Active Media
www.freepress.net *  www.cuwireless.net   *  www.acornactivemedia.com