[CWN-Summit] 900 MHz Proceeding

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Wed May 31 12:39:03 CDT 2006

I'd like to ask for the support of everyone on this list in trying to
defend unlicensed access in the 900 MHz spectrum band, and help push
to expand availability.

Back in 1999, the FCC auctioned licenses for the Location and
Monitoring Service (LMS).  The licenses share the 904.00-928.00 MHz
band with unlicensed users, subject to power limitations and a "safe
harbor" to protect unlicensed users.  These limits make the service
fairly worthless, as shown in the auction price ($4.5 million for all
licenses combined).

The LMS licensees, rather than actually build the service, have sat
on the spectrum and whined at the FCC to give them increased spectrum
rights at the expense of the unlicensed users.  Sadly, because there
are no defenders of unlicensed spectrum at the FCc anymore, the FCC
has now put such a proposal out for comment.  While paying lip
service to the concept of protecting the status quo on 900 MHZ
unlicensed, the order makes clear that it will not worry too much if
improving life for the licensed services harms the unlicensed users.

Yesterday, MAP and New America Foundation filed comments arguing that
if the FCC wants to do something to improve the 900 MHz band, it
should focus on improving the ability to use unlicensed spectrum in
the band rather than improve life for speculators who picked up
bargain-basement licenses and now want to get free benefits from the
Commission.  You can read the comments here:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6518357368

I'd like to ask everyone who can to take a minute and file comments
with the FCC opposing the proposed rules and supporting our
comments.  This will only take five minutes and can potentially make
a huge difference.  Given the current leadership of the FCC, which I
would describe as indifferent to unlicensed users, it will require a
large number of comments to persuade the FCC that their proposal will
have a major impact on people's lives.

To file, simply click on this link:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

In the box called Proceeding (box 1) enter 06-49.

Fill out the rest of the form.  You can either type a brief comment
into the window or attach a comment using the template provided.

You do not need to be a lawyer, or even a US citizen.

Harold