[CWN-Summit] Post Summit Updates... (a.k.a., Kicking Some Community Wireless Networking Butt!)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at aya.yale.edu
Mon Jun 11 14:26:05 CDT 2007

Hi Jeff (et al.),

jeff buderer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to give a quick thanks to Sashca, Faith, Marco and Cecille and
> the rest of the organizers for putting together such a memorable event.
> It was great having the chance to meet with so many amazing people at
> the Summit. Before I let any more time slip by, I wanted to share my
> report on the event which I posted on the OVF Open Digital Village Blog
> http://opendigitalvillage.org/?p=28
>
> Jeff Buderer
> oneVillage Foundation

Thanks for the kinds words -- there's been a ton of organizing post-Summit that
I wanted to let folks know about.  Whenever we host a Summit, it's the action
items that really get me enthused and this year has been the most exciting yet.

First off -- the FCC recently ruled to move forward with opening up a new band
of spectrum.  This is one of the clearest areas where the hard work and
perseverance of Summit attendees helped shift national discussion and had a
direct and concrete impact on national telecommunications policy.  We're not
(fully) out of the woods yet, but it does now look like the 3650-3700MHz band
will be opened up for community networking throughout the US.  We went up
against groups like Intel, Alvarion, Motorola, the Satellite Industry
Association (SIA), the Wireless Communications Association (WCA), and
the Wi-Max Forum, and we won!  More info at:
http://www.mediaaccess.org/press/3650-3700%20MHz%20Order.pdf

Second -- the Open Source Wireless Coalition is launched!!!  You can find out
more at OSWC.net and we're hoping that a lot of the groups at the Summit will
want to join.  Please drop me an e-mail if you'd like your group added to the
coalition.  The OSWC put in a response to the Boston Request for Information --
I'll be posting it soon to the OSWC website and on my own blog.  A special thank
you to the whole Boston-WiFi-Party Team (especially our "international rapid
response team" -- Laura Forlano, Aaron Kaplan, Joshua King, Daniel Meredith,
Wolfgang Nagele, & Matt Westervelt).  Our work is already creating waves and
there's a large number of folks who are really looking forward to reading our
RFI response.

Third -- the "Association of Community Wireless Networks" is moving forward.
We'll be looking for sign-ons and international partners who want to create
chapters around the globe.  I'm looking forward to putting some more time behind
this now that the Boston RFI is done -- but Harold Feld, Anthony Townsend, and
the rest of the ACWN crew have been taking the ball and running with it since
the Summit.

I know that there are other endeavors that folks are working on post-Summit
(e.g., a CWN resource portal, VC funding for open source wireless R&D, location
ideas for the next IS4CWN).  Send along updates!

In solidarity,

- --Sascha Meinrath
Summit Director