[CWN-Summit] Some old CALEA Business (or, Somedays, the bear gets you)

Harold Feld hfeld at mediaaccess.org
Tue Jun 19 15:29:31 CDT 2007

Back when the FCC had its rulemaking on the Katrina Report, I filed
on behalf of CUWIN and others a request that the Commission declare
that ad hoc networks set up for disaster relief are not subject to
CALEA.  Last week, the Commission issued its Report and Order,
denying this request (but leaving the door open).

I append the relevant langauge below.

Harold
___________________

1.                  CALEA Exemption for Temporary Ad Hoc
Networks.  Champaign Urbana Wireless Network et al asks that the
Commission clarify that volunteers who build ad hoc networks in
response to an emergency need not comply with CALEA.  They state
that, in response to Hurricane Katrina, volunteers created numerous
wireless networks to provide needed Internet connectivity for Red
Cross shelters and others in areas where Katrina destroyed or
substantially degraded existing infrastructure.  On completing
construction of these ad hoc networks, the volunteers turned these
networks over to local operators and move on to help others.

2.                  Champaign Urbana et al states that many of these
ad hoc networks remained in operation for months and may still remain
in operation today.  They state that volunteers who generally did not
maintain contact or provide any services for these networks once they
turn them over to local operators.  They state that these volunteers
are not telecommunications carriers to whom CALEA generally applies
and that these volunteers do not provide these services for hire.  In
addition, they state that these volunteers do not fall under the
"substantial replacement provision" of the Act.

3.                  They request that the Commission establish a
blanket waiver for ad hoc wireless networks created in response to a
state of emergency; and that any liability that might arise for
failure to comply with CALEA if the networks remain in operation
after the emergency would not lie with those who created the network
so long as they turned control over the network to others.  To the
extent the Commission determines that these volunteers are subject to
CALEA, Champaign Urbana et al requests that the Commission provide a
general waiver pursuant to its authority to exempt any "class or
category of telecommunications carrier."

4.                  We do not have sufficient information in the
record to justify grant of a blanket waiver as Champaign Urbana
suggests.  First it is not clear whether Champaign Urbana's request
is for a blanket waiver of ad hoc temporary networks in all cases of
emergencies, including those involving terrorist attacks.  If so,
such a waiver could actually impede law enforcement and thus hinder
the purposes of CALEA.  Moreover, we note that CALEA exemptions may
only be granted after formal consultation with the U.S. Attorney
General and that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (which formally
has been designated by the Attorney General to handle CALEA
obligations) has previously opposed granting blanket CALEA
exemptions.  For these reasons, we decline to issue a blanket waiver
for these types of networks.  Rather, we think the appropriate
approach would be to review requests for exemptions of these types of
networks (and the volunteers who construct them) on a case-by-case basis.