[CWN-Summit] Students tout WiFi co-ops as alternative to municipal WiFi

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Fri Feb 8 21:57:31 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008, at 11:16 PM, Stelios Valavanis wrote:

> care to elaborate?

hehe, ok.

well, there are a few points which bother me about meraki currently,
some of them:
*) you can not run them without internet uplink. They need connection
to their billing system.
   Without that they can not connect hence don't allow other mesh
nodes to be form a mesh.
*) they run on very cheap HW which is sometimes what you want but
sometimes not what you want.
   Particularly the single radio does not scale well. I wonder how
they plan to connect a whole city (SF) like that??
*) These atheros chips offloads the radio computation to the CPU.
Many packets? -> lots of CPU load -> packetloss

a.