[CWN-Summit] Students tout WiFi co-ops as alternative to municipal WiFi

Michael Weinberg president at personaltelco.net
Sat Feb 9 14:56:53 CST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 12:32 PM, David Young wrote:

>> *) they run on very cheap HW which is sometimes what you want but
>> sometimes not what you want.
>>  Particularly the single radio does not scale well. I wonder how
>> they plan to connect a whole city (SF) like that??
>
> I contend that cheap hardware is always what one wants.  If multiple
> radios/channels is what you desire, then velcro a few Meraki units
> (or the equivalent) to an ethernet switch. :-)

I concur. I've seen a lot of expensive "pro" gear deployed and demoed
(e.g. hundreds of SkyPilots in the failing MetroFi network) and I'm
unconvinced that these offer much in the way of actual wireless
improvements. Frequently, you're getting radio/antenna combos that
broadcast the SSID much further than clients can reasonably connect
and complex, feature-drunk firmwares. A cheap radio with a separate
linux device handling complex routing or authentication and some
specialized antennas can accomplish this just as well, without locking
you into the configuration provided by a single $2-3K device.