[CWN-Summit] Students tout WiFi co-ops as alternative to municipal WiFi

Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sun Feb 10 03:34:55 CST 2008

On Feb 9, 2008, at 9:32 PM, David Young wrote:

>> *) they run on very cheap HW which is sometimes what you want but
>> sometimes not what you want.
>>   Particularly the single radio does not scale well. I wonder how
>> they plan to connect a whole city (SF) like that??
>
> I contend that cheap hardware is always what one wants.  If multiple
> radios/channels is what you desire, then velcro a few Meraki units
> (or the equivalent) to an ethernet switch. :-)

ah, yes, that is a technical solution which works, but... they sell
these devices and expect the city to be networked in a single radio?
Because people will not buy extra 3 of them and configure then to be
on different channels and balance out everything.
Meraki customers are consumers who want it to "just work".

IMHO meraki's approach (as a company and the SW) is a bit flawed.
But hey! venture capital burns easily :)

a.