[CWN-Summit] Students tout WiFi co-ops as alternative to municipal WiFi

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sun Feb 10 15:49:50 CST 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:07:22AM +0100, Aaron Kaplan wrote:

> >>*) These atheros chips offloads the radio computation to the CPU.
> >>Many packets? -> lots of CPU load -> packetloss
> >
> >I can tell you quite confidently that that is not true.  Silicon in
> >the
> >Atheros chip does the radio computation.
> >

> different atheros chips do it in HW. This one offloads the
> computation to the CPU (given that they are the same design as FON).

By "radio computation," I take that you mean the modulation/demodulation,
and that is definitely not happening on the host CPU.  Perhaps you mean
a different computation than I think.

The Atheros design does not inherently demand that the host CPU work
very hard.

Dave

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24