[CWN-Summit] RE: Really useful for the upcoming administration

John Zoltner zoltner at zoltner.com
Wed Nov 19 08:27:06 CST 2008

I know I´m coming late to the conversation and joining the band, but
just wanted to add my out-of-country experience that NOT having the
type of organized information that Harold is promoting affects all of
us around the world. Here in Chile I´ve had several experiences
attending meetings where people as important to the [potential]
movement as the Subsecretary of Telecommunications hold up articles
during public meetings (Hopes for Wireless Cities Fade as Internet
Providers Pull Out - see link below) and/or make statements that make
any thought of muni networking experimentation sound like the
brainchild of delusional hippies without a firm grasp of "the
fundamentals". Without an organized, easy to access and apply
database of successes, it's hard to reply in a convincing way to
allegations made against muni networking, especially when sources of
news about the experiences to date are exaggerated to emphasize the
negative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/22/us/22wireless.html?
_r=1&pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=ef3b32c861e095a7&ex=1207195200&emc=eta1&ore
f=slogin

>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:50:40 -0500
>>> From: Harold Feld <hfeld at mediaaccess.org>
>>> Subject: [CWN-Summit] Really useful for the upcoming administration
>>>
>>> It would be really useful for us in the US if we could collect a
>>> list
>>> of all community wireless projects and provide some info about the
>>> good work they are doing.  Of course, it won't be comprehensive.
>>> But
>>> if we can show there is a real movement going on, and all the good
>>> things it does, we can push for things like funding and favorable
>>> spectrum policies.
>>>
>>> Harold

John Zoltner
President, The Zoltner Consulting Group