[CWN-Summit] Seeking advice on low-cost mesh node wifi in St. Louis, Missouri, USA

L.Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Wed Nov 19 16:05:59 CST 2008

From: "L. Aaron Kaplan" <aaron at lo-res.org>
Date: November 19, 2008 2:53:22 AM GMT+01:00
To: International Summit for Community Wireless Networks Participant
E-mail List <cwn-summit at lists.cuwireless.net>
Subject: Re: [CWN-Summit]  Seeking advice on low-cost mesh node wifi
in St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Ben,

After the last CWN summit I have been digging deeper and deeper into
accton based routers (FONs, merakis) and up until very recently the
wifi drivers had very serious problems.
This was a big step back for me. Especially after the announcement at
the CWN.
I am now slowly getting to where I wanted to be with these devices
but nevertheless ... for building a *stable* network , I can not
fully recommend them anymore as the only solution.
I think they are great for home users / CPEs where an occasional
reboot won't matter so much.
But for backhaul, I believe we need something else.

What does that mean?
Just getting a stock (closed source) Meraki or (open source) open-
mesh.com accton router wont' *currently* scale up to large networks
(driver issues - still problems with VAP + ahdemo mode in madwifi) .
This is my latest knowledge of open-mesh.com's dev status. Me and
Antonio ported over OLSR to open-mesh.com , so now it also runs OLSRd.
However I absolutely love the dashboard with open-mesh.com. I think
something like that is the way to go. I might suggest looking into
orange-mesh (a clone) or pushing Michael B. a bit to release the open-
mesh.com dashboard as open source ( I was told he would like to have
that anyway. The firmware is open source already)
So, open-mesh.com is a great asset.

Concerning management software: more rigidly programmed, but more ISP-
centric,  you can also use the funkfeuer.at management software:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/redeemer/
I personally would believe this has more of an enterprise/ large
network touch. It has all kinds of hooks to trigger different update
tasks all from the central DB.
It has plugs into a map service, makes sure that IPs are assigned
properly, is used for registering locations and nodes and new members
etc. It is probably very similar to what Ramon described for the
guifi.net. Wolfgang can tell you more about it since he programmed
it. It works great in Vienna!

For backbone nodes, I developed the "mangrovia" box with some
friends. It basically contains an very good pcengines Alix board ( I
am *very* happy with those. They are well worth the extra price).
They contain a CF slot. So what I did was I created an Image builder
and my Makefiles will generate different images for each box
automatically - preconfigured!
This way we installed a small muni wifi network in Piemonte (northern
Italy) in a couple of days. (ok, it was a week but we were lazy and
the food was so good).
We also used some very good 5GHz backbone links in this network.
Highly recommended.
With this setup we again provide connectivity with one single uplink.
Key was solid components, solid engineering, careful assembly (HF
cables!) and experience. Now the backbone runs on 108MBit (~ 50- 60
MBit/sec netto).
Ah and BTW: yes, it "meshes" over everything - LAN cables, adhoc
links, managed links.

Outlook:
I will continue working on the ultra cheap FONs given my tight time
resources. But I believe by now that they will only be part of the
whole puzzle (mere CPEs, edge nodes of the mesh). Madwifi
unfortunately got only stable in adhoc mode recently. For backhaul I
hope I will get my fingers dirty with pronghorn boards soon and some
more/different ALix boards.

Questions to the readers:
Anyone experimented with 802.11n outdoor? Does it make sense in
practice? AFAIK it was built for indoor purposes.

pic: mangrovia box in bella Italia

I hope I could help with sharing my thoughts on the issue. I am sure
others have good additions or corrections to the above said.

Best,
Aaron.