[CWN-Summit] Hardware recommendations

Richard Lussier ISF richard.lussier at ilesansfil.org
Sun Nov 23 14:33:02 CST 2008

Hi,
Hardware seems to be a a big part of network reliability.
I would like to know what are everyones experience in that field.
High quality equipment is getting cheaper, but also becomes obsolete and
hard to get.
I will list here some hardware that I know, and would like to have
opinions on them.
I know a forum would be a better place to do this exercise, but we
have'nt setup one.

Accton MR3210A 30$-50$
    It has a problem with locking under certain power glitch, but is
fixed with a hardware mod.
    see http://robin.forumup.it/viewtopic.php?t=873&mforum=robin
    I have one on the roof for 6 months now no failure... from -5c to
30c. will see this winter at -30c.

PCengines : WRAP (obsolete), Alix starting at 100$ no radio

Wiligear WBD-500 70$

Ubiquiti Bullet, Nano, Pico, PS, 50$ to 100$
    Worked with a nano, very convenient and robust.

Mikrotik RouterBoard 49$ to 200$

Soekris 125$- 280$ + no radio

Thank you
Richard Lussier