[CWN-Summit] Basic stats about community wireless networks

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Mon Feb 23 16:56:38 CST 2009

Abdel,

I think you are missing many community networks, some of them large
scale, like freifunk in Germany, or Athens wireless in Greece (awmn.net)
and probably a few others like guifi.net.
I can provide you the guifi.net figures as for today in the database:

#nodes (fixed locations) reported online (includes ap's and residential
cpe's, which I think is much more accurate and meaningful than just
counting ap's): 6,125

#of radios and their operation mode (note that there might be several
radios in some locations):
ap 1,973
cpe 6,221

Wireless network links: 7,740 kms. (4,809 miles)

estimated # of users (assuming an average of 3 users per home): 18,400

#volunteers >200

Free: Yes (based on p2p agreements)

Life duration: 5 years (founded in 2,004)

Funding method: Participants buy their equipments

You can follow-up the statistics by visiting http://guifi.net (look at
the statistics box in the left sidebar).

Ramon.

En/na ABDEL N ABDELAAL ha escrit: