[CWN-Summit] Historical Info on Captive Portal Development

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Mon Mar 2 14:26:19 CST 2009

On March 2, 2009, Michael Weinberg wrote:
> Can any of you provide firsthand accounts or other reference materials
> about the early foundations of captive portal projects (pre-2001)? I'm
> interested in both commercial and open source systems.

For open source you may not find anything earlier than that, NoCat was released
in 2001.  As far as I know, it was the first Open Source captive portal, and it
was pretty early considering the WiFi alliance (then called wica) was founded
in 1999, and that the first 802.11 standard was released in 1997, it doesn't
leave much room.

However, I'm pretty sure that some captive portals for wired connections
existed before then, in universities and the like for plugging-in your laptop.

--
Benoit Grégoire