[CWN-Summit] Buy this satellite

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Dec 3 17:41:43 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 02:08:31AM +0100, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> http://buythissatellite.org/

This is fascinating, but they could do a better job at selling their
project. buythissatellite.org looks to me, as an engineer and a
potential donor, like an extremely risky proposition that's not
well-justified technically.  I don't mean to say that it is not
justifiable, but that I could not find out any technical capabilities
of the satellite (for example, maximum bandwidth per user/channel,
aggregate bandwidth), how one must outfit a ground station, and what
the projected cost/complexity of a client device will be, before
buythissatellite.org lost my attention.

I think it's important to answer the question, how would the cost to
build fiber-optic and/or 4G infrastructure in a target nation compare
with the costs to buy and operate the satellite, and to develop, build,
and sell the satellite clients?  How would the technical capabilities of
the satellite compare with the rest?  What's the upgrade path when the
satellite stops working?

Dave