[CWN-Summit] Buy this satellite

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Sun Dec 5 20:47:38 CST 2010

Hi!

> We have been talking about how mesh networking and ultimately all forms of
> community wireless networking are complementary to having what would
> effectively be a community satellite.

Exactly. I also see all this as just different approaches to a common
goal: a people-owned Internet, Peoplenet.

It would be great to be able to interconnect community networks together
over a satellite. Maybe this is what I am missing from this project.
They are talking about giving basic access for free and selling the rest
commercially. Maybe they should add another segment: community use. I
think it would be viable that communities would pay some regular fee to
use the satellite for their use. Less than commercial users. And they
would also be able to provide services and content to other users of the
satellite. Not to mention to provide uplink for the project (which cost
is one of the concerns of the project and could be in this way lowered).

(Of course this depends on reach of one this satellite - would be
possible to cover both Africa and Europe?)

For sure we should all cooperate on this satellite. At least with
sharing gathered knowledge and experience. It would be great if their
experiences would be documented. Also from a technical side. I would
really like to learn how it is running a satellite and what all it is
required for that.

Mitar