[CWN-Summit] Law change

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Mon Dec 6 08:24:20 CST 2010

Hi!

I would like to discuss an idea with you. I would like to see if I am
mistaken somewhere and if you agree that this would be better for everyone.

My idea is that we could try to change how power limits are measured.
Currently they are measured from the antenna and it is quite easy to go
over this limit with a directional antenna.

My idea is based on what I believe is the main purpose of power limits
on unlicensed spectrum and (only?) regulation of unlicensed spectrum I
would see as legitimate: to prevent to much interference between users.

And based on that there I believe there is no reason to limit power from
antenna but just power from transmitter (how much energy does the
transmitter put into the spectrum - this is how much it can interfere
with others). Because more directed antenna you have less you interfere
with others as less space you cover (and you are still putting the same
amount of energy).

As those power limits are regulated on country basis it would be
possible to locally lobby for a change.

Of course there are probably other lobbies behind which like limits as
they are because it limits long links, but at least public policy makers
should probably look only upon limiting interference, not that somebody
should or should not make long links just because they are long.

So my question is in fact just this: is my reasoning correct? I wouldn't
like to start lobbying and then they would show me that this would
increase interference and would make things worse for everybody. As my
main argument is exactly this: interference will not be increased but
usefulness for people will. So as they should make unlicensed spectrum
as useful as possible for people they should support it.

Mitar