[CWN-Summit] Installing a community wireless system

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Nov 30 10:27:44 CST 2010

Hi!

(sorry for the delayed answer.. was a bit ill)

On Nov 23, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Joseph Bonicioli wrote:

> Aaron at last some people have the chance to start the opposite way.
> There are many solutions to the problem depending what you want as a product
> out of this net.
Hm... just for the record: did you write this mail as answer to Robert Dixon
or to me?

(...)
> If you are looking for a Community Wireless Network in its purest form, i.e.
> a wireless network made by the users for the users, with service and network
> life generated out of its own members regardless of internet connectivity,
> then the bad news is you need a lot of social engineering. No budget can't
> buy that easily, it takes a lot of your time, but it's may times rewarding
> and almost certainly worth it no matter how successful it is.

agreed.

> One way or the other you  are going to need all the roofs, all the best
> clear view spots and all the access to needed areas you can get. That's the
> first step. You can then start the backbone network plans. Maybe with the
> aid of Geo tools (We can provide you with some, eg wind that we use) or

(...)

> "Aaron are you up for it?" I wish this phrase could slip out of my mouth so
since I am addressed here, I will answer.
Hm, I don't quite know what you mean be "up to it"?
Do you mean
a) do I have the technical skills to plan such a network - yes
b) time? - right now, no :)

Anyway, I have the gut feeling that Robert Dixon will be for sure capable of creating such a network :)
I was simply trying to give some useful hints how we created our networks over here.

> easy. Ohio is so far away. I would love to see a project like that grow and
> I would love to be part of it just to see how good we could do if we started
> the other way round.
> Back to reality... I need to get some project details submitted here in the
> office.

yup... time... we all have a lack of it , unfortunately...

> Keep us posted! We love to hear stories from all of you.

Yes, Robert, please keep us posted!