[CWN-Summit] [3w] fcc votes for white space use

Brough Turner broughturner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 21:09:30 CDT 2010

Many, but not all, of the WISPA requests are incorporated:

Geolocation database yes, sensing is not required.

No minimum antenna height (because sensing is not required), but not the
increase in max height WISPA asked for.

65.  *Decision. *We decline to increase the maximum permitted transmit
antenna height above ground for fixed TV bands devices. As the Commission
stated in the *Second Report and Order*, the 30 meters above ground limit
was established as a balance between the benefits of increasing TV bands
device transmission range and the need to minimize the impact on licensed
services.129 Consistent with the Commission’s stated approach in the *Second
Report and Order *of taking a conservative approach in protecting authorized
services, we find the prudent course of action is to maintain the previously
adopted height limit. If, in the future, experience with TV bands devices
indicates that these devices could operate at higher transmit heights
without causing interference, the Commission could revisit the height limit.

However the 30 meter antenna height appears to have gotten worse because
it's now above "average terrain", a more stringent requirement that might
pose problems for WISPs in hilly areas.

All in all, it looks good enough that a variety of new products and uses
should emerge.

Thanks,
Brough

Mobile: +1 617 285-0433   Skype: brough