[CWN-Summit] Radio frequencies for new and faster wireless services

Brough Turner broughturner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 10:12:10 CDT 2010

I have only secondary knowledge (as I'm mostly in the US) but I have been
following white space discussions internationally.

In the EU, "TV white spaces" show up under the union of "cognitive
technologies" and "digital dividend."  See for example, the sections on
"cognitive technology" in this August 2009 Analysis-Mason study prepared for
the European Commission:

http://www.analysysmason.com/PageFiles/13825/20090814%20EC%20final%20report%20-%20Final%20(Executive%20summary%20only).pdf
<http://www.analysysmason.com/PageFiles/13825/20090814%20EC%20final%20report%20-%20Final%20(Executive%20summary%20only).pdf>
My impression is the reclaimed TV spectrum will be licensed to others in the
EU, hopefully with some thought to the possibility of cognitive radios as
future underlay, but that white spaces innovation will have to happen in the
US for now.

Thanks,
Brough

Mobile: +1 617 285-0433   Skype: brough