[CWN-Summit] IS4CWN2012 venue wishlist

faith swords faith.swords at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 08:34:37 CST 2011

Hi Roger,

My day today is a lot more flexible than yesterday was, and so I will be
able to send out a bit more background for your edification this morning. I
wanted to respond quickly to a couple of things, though.

The 150-200 number is based on invited participants and people who actually
registered in advance for the Summit in previous years. I can get exact
numbers for past years, but actual attendance usually hovers around 100-120
participants. In my experience as an event planner, however, it is almost
always better to overestimate the amount of space you will need - just in
case everyone who initially plans to come actually shows up. My guess is
that realistically, we will not get more than 150, but you never know.

The majority of the funding for the Summit goes to travel sponsorships.
When the Summit was held in the US, that was around 1500 USD for everyone
coming in from the rest of the world. Unfortunately for many people, that
amount did not actually cover all of their travel expenses. Last year, we
had 30 requests for travel support (including the OTI folks and myself
coming from DC). Most of those were international travel sponsorships
awarded to participants from India, Nepal, Egypt, Canada and the US.

Also, for what it's worth, my wishlist is a wishlist :) I personally would
rather start by asking for the best possible scenario and then scale back
our plans based on what is actually possible. I look forward to hearing
from you all what is actually possible in Barcelona. I've never been there
and have always wanted to go!

I will send budget documents later this morning.

Thanks and regards,

Faith