[CWN-Summit] This Sunday: Batphone Hackathon. Disaster communications via mobile mesh

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Nov 15 15:14:32 CST 2011

From: 	Xavier Leonard <ideasfromX.L at gmail.com>

This Sunday: Batphone Hackathon. Disaster communications via mobile mesh

I'm working with Matt Rantanen from Tribal Digital Village (sctdv.net
<http://sctdv.net/>), InSTEDD.org, and the ServalProject.org to test Paul
Gardner-Stephen's system for infrastuctureless telephony that can be contained
in a backpack and air dropped into disaster areas. It has the Batphone nickname
because one part of the open-source software stack is a protocol called BATMAN
(Better Approach To Mobile Adhoc Networking). The Batphones form a mesh network
among themselves, and multi-hop through that to negotiate VOIP phone calls.

On our way toward a full catastophe simulation demo in January, we're inviting
folks to join us for a Hackathon session to uncover and address flaws in the
assumptions, logic, software and hardware. That adds up to a magical
geekery-filled Sunday. Sunday Nov. 20, 10am - 5pm PST (GMT - 8:00).You can join
us in person (on the reservation, 50 min. drive from downtown San Diego) or
particpate online.  Please register for either option here:http://bit.ly/bathack.

You can find out most of what you want to know about the Batphone
at http://www.ServalProject.org <http://www.servalproject.org/>.  You can
download the Android app there (requires rooting).  The sourcecode is on Github,
search for ServalProject.  You can also respond here or email me for questions.