[CWN-Summit] IS4CWN2012 venue wishlist

faith swords faith.swords at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:45:22 CST 2011

Hi Malcolm,

Below please find a wishlist for a Barcelona IS4CWN. I have cc-ed the
Summit organizational list - please feel free to subscribe yourself to the
list as well as any others who I have missed. (Others who might already be
on the list, apologies if you receive this twice!)

I have some other thoughts about wishlists, including potential in kind
support that has been helpful in the past, but things just got incredibly
busy at my paying gig so those thoughts will have to wait until later this
week, alas.

I am available via gchat at this address most of the American day for
questions, as well as email after hours, should anyone need anything else
from me.

Cheers,

 Faith

***

The International Summit for Community Wireless Networks attracts between
150 and 200 participants. The Summit features keynotes, periods of
simultaneous sessions, and a full-time hacklab for building and sharing
next generation network tools and technologies. Overall, the venue needs to
include a plenary space, and ideally 7 additional rooms.
Here's the breakdown:

Space Requirements

   - A common area used for a registration and information booth and
   general congregating by participants
   - Auditorium for keynotes that can hold 150 people
   - 4 additional rooms for panels that can hold 30-50 each for session
   - A 30+ capacity room that can be used for a hacklab
   - Private room for Summit Staff (ideally that can be locked)
   - Room for staging catering (ideally with sink and counter space)
   - Sufficient bathrooms & etc.

Technology Requirements

   - High Speed, Stable Wireless Broadband
   - Sufficient access to the host network to build experimental mesh
   networks during the conference
   - Standard A/V including multiple wireless microphones as well as a
   projector, screen, and speakers for each room.
   - (Optional but strongly desired: Projector and screen or large screen
   (42 in+) monitors in common areas for displaying conference information and
   daily schedule)

Furniture

   - Hacklab should have multiple tables, chairs for 20+, multiple power
   outlets
   - Keynote space should have a podium as well as table for respondents,
   seating for 150
   - Panel rooms need table for 4 presenters as well as seating for 30-50
   - Check-in area needs tables and chairs or staff and conference
   materials & power for printers & computers