[IS4CWN] Template for Community Network Data

Seamus Tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Oct 19 21:54:02 UTC 2012

Hello All,

Near the end of the unconference day at is4cwn, a small group of us
collected and started to brainstorm the information that we would like
to have about other community wireless networks. Below are my notes...

Community wireless networks are frequently dealing with similar issues
as each other. It is difficult to source the answers to current issues
across the various resources on other networks sites. A standard space
for network information, or a standard repository to find links to
this information across networks, would allow for new and existing
networks to utilize the collective knowledge of the community.

Please review and contribute your ideas for the areas that will be
useful for other community wireless networks.

* Community / Social  Organization
** Social structure of the organization "political organization"
** History
** Principles, Values, Mission, & Goals
** Peering / Legal Agreement for the network

* Technical details
** Network configuration
*** Device Configuration files
*** Routing Protocols
*** Firmware
*** maps
*** Software & Applications running on the network
** Location of network & user documentation
** Glossary and key terms of network
** Regional legal regulations around power limits, channels, etc.

* Current projects
* Advice for other & new networks
* Contact information

We also explored what we would like to see in a central location if
one were to be used.

Each community having authority over their own sections
An instrument for the website that is easy to use to add data
A content management system that handles internationalization very well
An active forum that would allow for networks to get feedback on
issues that they have faced dealing with community engagement, local
government, technology, etc.

I know that I missed much of the brainstorming that occured during
this meeting and invite any interested parties to contribute to this
conversation.

seamus tuohy
commotion wireless