[IS4CWN] DYI Networking Seminars

Panayotis Antoniadis panayotis.antoniadis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 10:51:49 EST 2015

Hi all!

I wanted to write to this list since (very) long time and thanks to
Emmanuel
I found now a good excuse :-)

So, I am one of the organizers of this workshop on "DIY networking"
and my personal interest on this subject is to make such technology
as easy to install and customize, and empower local actors to organize
interactions between people in physical proximity (in neighbourhoods
and public spaces), outside the public Internet.

But why "outside the Internet" is not an easy question to answer and
I believe that we (scientists from different disciplines, engineers,
hackers,
activists, artists, and citizens) need to join forces if we want to compete
with the big tech corporations for empowering citizens to get more
control over their (local) communications and data.

This workshop is co-located with at a well-known engineering conference,
and thus subject to its policies, where the focus is more on the
technological
and scientific perspective. But we have made an effort to bring people
outside this community that work in similar and/or complementary problems
in order to exchange ideas and experiences, and establish collaborations.

For this, we are experimenting with an "special interdisciplinary
session", which
welcomes short (2-pages) contributions with free format, demos, and more.
(see http://diynetworking.net/cfp.php). And yes, experiences from this
community
would be really valuable and you are very welcome to submit and present
your work!

Btw, next Wednesday I will be at CBase in Berlin if there are people around
that would be interested to chat about this "local only" perspective for
community wireless networks (see also this recently established e-mail
list: http://librelist.com/browser/off.networks/ )

Looking forward to meeting you in Florence (or elsewhere)!

Panayotis Antoniadis
http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~pantonia/
http://nethood.org