[IS4CWN] I will be in the US and TV whitespace ...

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue May 26 10:25:19 EDT 2015

The 900MHz radios from Ubiquiti are indeed popular here.  To my
understanding, there is occasionally the (unfounded) belief they can "burn
down trees," i.e. propagate through tree cover easier than their GHz
brethren.

Do dote the FCC limits on TX power in this band if you're using custom gear:

http://www.afar.net/tutorials/how-far/

Transmit power is limited by the regulatory authority
<http://www.afar.net/tutorials/fcc-rules/>. Under the US rules (FCC) you
can feed up to 27 dBm of power into a 9 dBi omnidirectional antenna (4 W
EIRP or 36 dBm), or 24 dBm of power into a 24 dBi directional antenna for
point-to-point links (48 dBm or 16W EIRP). Under the European rules (ETSI)
the maximum effective radiated power (transmit power plus antenna gain) is
100 mW EIRP (20 dBm).

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> Juergen> Hi all, I will be in Seattle from June 5th until June 12th and
> Juergen> in Portland from June 20th until June 27th. If anyone of you is
> Juergen> arround (e.g. at OS Bridge) or there are other people you think
> Juergen> I should meet, then please just let me know.
>
> Juergen> Thanks to Elektra the Freifunk low budget WiFi radio in 480MHz
> Juergen> is now online. :) We can of course shift the radio to any other
> Juergen> frequency, too. Here is a weblink (German):
> Juergen> http://wiki.freifunk.net/MABB:TVWS
>
> There is unlicensed spectrum in 900MHz band here in the US.
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band
>
> "902.000 MHz - 928.000 MHz"
>
> We have used the Ubiquiti Loco M900s, but they are ~$150 each.
>

> --
> Russell Senior, President
> russell at personaltelco.net

Ben West