[EclecticSeizure] welcome &tc.

gillespie william k gillespi at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 5 12:46:21 CDT 2000

Hey everyone,

You were all subscribed before I finished drafting the welcome message so
let me include the gist of it here:

Eclectic Seizure will happen every other Wednesday night from 8-10 (next
week will be a show).

The purpose of this list is to announce upcoming shows, discuss relevant
issues, and solicit participation in specific projects.

One small thing that would be great is if people would forward
announcements and PSAa to me or to the list. Even if they're already at
WEFT I'd love to have my attention drawn to them.

I built a website yesterday, which is still in the pre-beta-mode, at
http://www.wordwork.org/eclecticseizure

At this site you can see my efforts to hammer out the schedule for the
remainder of the year, and also to accumulate archival material.

You were subscribed but it's easy enough to unsubscribe or to set your
options so messages are digested and you receive no more than one a day.

And everyone is welcome to subscribe. I'll send out an announcement to the
newspoetry list and to other relevant addresses once the website is in
slightly better shape.

I am hoping this new incarnation of the show will differ slightly from the
previous one in that:

- it will have an enhanced emphasis on preproduction and will favor
scripted material to improvised material

- most shows will have specific topics, themes, methodologies, gags,
special guests, or some unique coherence

- the show will be structured less as a consistent staff and
more as collaboration on a show-by-show basis

- there will be an enhanced emphasis on current affairs, relevant
historical events, and local issues and events

- the show, which will be webcast, will attempt to draw in participants
from outside the broadcast radius and will attempt to be an electronic
community as well as a local radio show. this means that shows centered
around websites are relevant

- newspoetry will be a regular, possibly monthly (every other show),
feature

- i'd really like to broadcast new music, meaning both recently-released
stuff as well as experimental classical music from the 20th century

I welcome all ideas.

Yer pal,
William

w w w .