[EclecticSeizure] Twelve Tone Music? Are you kidding me?

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 18 11:02:13 CST 2002

WEFT isn't the classical station and tonight we're going to prove it, when
Rick Burkhardt & Mark Enslin explain Twelve Tone and kick out the jams
with some harsh angular atonal riffs. Forget noise, industrial, punk.
Attempts simply to abolish musical structure are doomed vanities. If you
do not choose your form then you are writing in a form you did not choose,
as Queneau said. Here's a genuinely subversive attempt to undermine
western tonality and the hegemony of key, using traditional instruments
played properly, even by people wearing full evening dress. It's not
something a guy like the Eclectic Guy purports to fully understand with
the clarity of a Monkees record, but I guarantee it's the only Twelve Tone
show out there tonight. Try it: if you don't like it, chances are you'll
never hear it again anyway.