[EclecticSeizure] Open Seizin' on the Seizure

William Gillespie gillespi at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 7 14:48:34 CDT 2003

Hey experimental radio fans, I'll be retiring sometime this year. The
Programming Committee at WEFT of course will ensure that whoever replaces
me in this timeslot will be chosen according to criteria I was not
consulted about, as they cheerfully informed me at a meeting I was forced
to walk through in an attempt to find Jenny Toomey sings the songs of
Franklin Bruno during my show. It could mean the end of ambiguity, as
genre overrides eclecticity, esoterica, and recondite amarketable
localalia. You'll be lucky to get a polka show after I leave, in other
words, you're much more likely to get something like a separately-named
crosssection of pop/rock, in which a veneer of production techniques
overlies instantly recognizable chord progressions and time signatures.
Well, it's your station: save it from the strip programming that has led
its airshifters to a corner of the basement in search of a CD by the
latest "alternative/indy"-rock band Amontillado, and is sealing them in
with an imbrication of

ROCK FOLK GOTH
  JAZZ BLUES
LOCAL ROCK BRITISH
   ROCK ALTERNATIVE
ROCK JAZZ BLUES

So until the end, I'm keeping things LOOSE and SPONTANEOUS and even a
little bit SLOPPY; because