[Imc-events] Upcoming Folk Shows at the IMC

Zach - UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator zcmshows at ucimc.org
Tue Aug 13 00:30:14 CDT 2002

Edie Carey, Rory Miller, Vicki Salz, Alix Olson, The Prince Myshkins,
Pamela Means, Anne Heaton...Yipee!

I've been busy at work booking nationally touring folk shows at the
IMC. Here's some upcoming shows:

Tuesday, August 20 - Edie Carey w/ Kevin Eliott and TBA
  http://ediecarey.com/

  Edie Carey grabs hold of her audiences with her soulful soaring voice
  and doesn't let go until she steps off the stage. While her songs are
  what first draw listeners in, it's what she says in between them that
  keeps them there. As much a part of her show as the music itself,
  Carey's wry and often self-mocking humor, coupled with her ability to
  tell a great story, will make for an awesome show.

  Kevin Elliott is a local who you've probably heard hosting From The
  Joshua Tree Inn on WEFT, the weekly folk/acoustic show on WEFT that
  airs on Tuesdays from 6pm-8pm. Kevin plays and sings as well as
  hosting great folk music on the radio so be sure to come check him out!

  This show will also feature an additional local performer.

Friday, August 30 - Rory Miller and Vicki Salz, w/ TBA
  http://wolfgang.groogroo.com/gallery/rory
  http://vickisalz.com

  Rory wails. Her sound is uniquely her own combining unique tunings,
  percussive fierce rhythms, and dream like melodies with influences
  from Ani DiFranco and Melissa Ferrick.  Hailing from the Chicago
  area, she has already rocked the house at the IMC as an opener for
  Joni Laurence, this is her first time as a headliner.

  Vicki Salz delivers dynamic live sets. Her love of the music she
  performs is palpable as her boisterous stage presence is augmented
  by the juxtaposition of her angelic eyes which peer over her
  frequently develish grins. While guitar is her main ax she also
  plays flute, saxophone, piano, harmonica, clarinet and kazoo on her
  upcoming album.

  In all liklihood Rory and Vicki may collaborate on some songs as well.

  This show will also feature 2 local performers.

Saturday, August 31 - Alix Olson w/ TBA
  http://alixolson.com

  Alix is a touring folk and slam spoken word artist. She's appeared
  at the IMC twice before and each time has been a huge success. This
  quote says it all, "alix is a red-hot, fire-bellied,
  feminismo-spewin' volcano. Plus she rhymes. Listen to her now!" You
  can get a copy of her CD Built Like That at the IMC.

Saturday, September 14 - The Prince Myshkins
  http://www.hiddenagendamusic.com/myshkins/

  Original, satirical, folk cabaret. Rick and Andy of the Myshkins
  used to be a local band before moving to California. They've been back
  every so often and we're happy to host them whenever they're in town.

Sunday, September 15, 2002 - Pamela Means and Anne Heaton w/ Angie Heaton
  http://pamelameans.com/
  http://anneheaton.com/
  http://www.angieheaton.com/

  If you don't go to any other folk shows this fall (and you REALLY
  should go to LOTS of folk shows this fall) you have to go to this
  one. The opportunity to see these amazing musicians in a single
  night is rare. They'll knock your socks off.

  Pamela Means's "kamikaze guitar style, politically-charged lyrics,
  and funky 'fro" are all her own. Fittingly, Means has made a habit of
  quoting one of her deepest inspirations, Audre Lorde. "...I am myself-
  a Black woman warrior poet doing my work- come to ask you, are you
  doing yours?"

  Anne Heaton's music is soul-touching and soul-baring. Equal parts
  conversational and storytelling, her songs are catchy, with soaring
  melodies boasting great emotional pull and smart lyrics. I've seen
  her play with Melissa Ferrick on multiple occasions and it has been
  inspiring and fun.

  Angie Heaton is a local performer who has done it all. She has a
  couple of rocking Parasol albums available around town. This night
  she'll be playing an acoustic folk set.

(Hey I must admit that about half of the descriptive text above was
shamelessly appropriated and editted from the artists' respective web
pages. I didn't quote a single word that I don't deeply believe
though. I really love all of these artists. I'm just lazy.)

Other assorted upcoming folk shows:
Friday, October 4 - Andrew Kerr
Monday, October 7 - Alex Gordon (unconfirmed)
Sunday, October 20 - Adam Brodsky
Saturday, October 26 - Mark Erelli and Beth Amsel
Tuesday, October 29 - Allette Brooks
Saturday, November 2 - Joni Laurence and MJ Walker (unconfirmed)
Saturday, November 9 - Alice DiMicele (unconfirmed)
Monday, November 11 - Teddy Goldstein
Saturday, November 16 - Vicki Salz
Sunday, November 17 - Kris Delmhorst

All show are at 8pm at the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media
Center. Located at 218 W. Main St. Suite 100 in downtown Urbana. Right
next to The Office.

All shows are non-smoking and all ages. Non-alcoholic beverages and
snacks will be available.

UCIMC Folk Music Coordinator - http://shows.ucimc.org
Just Another Leftist Muppet - Ya Basta! - Share and Enjoy