[Imc-events] ODDMUSIC Performance at the IMC!

Nicole Pion nicole at ucimc.org
Fri Dec 11 11:42:43 CST 2009

We don’t have a fancy newsletter this week, but the events promise to be
exciting, thought-provoking, and important to our community:

*House Theater Dec.  11, 12: "The Truth about Injustice Always Sounds
OutRageous"*

Sounds outrageous and outrageous sounds, brought to you by House Theater and
UC-ODD MUSIC project. We invite you to an hour and a half "Letter to the
Editor" on the system-designed killing of 15 year old Kiwane Carrington Oct.
9 2009 entwining experimental compositions in sound, dance, and poetry
performed in a living, bedroom, bathroom of an Urbana house. You're invited!
You don't need to know us to come!

 There will be three identical performances. Pick one or several:
Friday, December 11 @ 7:30pm
Saturday, December 12 @ 7:30pm

Where: 2106 S. Race St., Urbana (home of Ben Grosser, Kate McDowell, and
Jasper)
How much: suggested donation of $5-$10, or pay what you can
Who: compositions by Grosser, Schuessler, Rzewski, Enslin, Simpson, Snow
Leopard, Barton, Heathwaite, Parenti, Nix, Michaelis, Lieder, Chynoweth,
Cage, Glick, and more...
RSVPs are appreciated but not required.  Drop an email to:
grosser at bengrosser.com.

*Kiwane's Future, Art and Performance honoring Kiwane Carrington
*7:00 pm, Saturday, December 12th , 2009 at the UCIMC Main Space, 202 S.
Broadway Ave, Urbana, Il 61801

* *

*ODDMUSIC CONVERGENCE DECEMBER '09:*

December 14th 7:30pm  at the UCIMC Main Space, 202 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana,
Il 61801

You're invited to attend, as performer or audience ODDMUSIC CONVERGENCE
DECEMBER '09: "metablues, microtones, contraptions, utopia"
 $5-10, no one turned away for lack of funds.
A concert featuring responses to invitations:  ODDMUSIC - What is Oddmusic?
Show us. 1. METABLUES - Write a "blues" song which points, instead of at old
problems framed in the old language, new problems which demand a new
language. 2. MICROTONES - Write a piece in an odd tuning (one which is
non-redundant with conventional wisdom). 3. CONTRAPTIONS - Write a piece for
an odd instrument (or a not-so-odd instrument played in an odd way). 4.
UTOPIA - Write a piece which speaks of alternatives not yet possible in the
current system. For example, a false statement bulletin.

*Thank you from the UCIMC!  *

The UCIMC would like to thank all of you who were able to attend the UCIMC
10 Year Anniversary Celebration!  If you weren’t able to make it, don’t
worry – we have lots of great events coming up:

The IMC’s second annual Film Festival will take place February 5-7, 2010

Our Annual IMC Fest will again take place April 15-18

-and-

September 24th marks the 10th Anniversary of the first UCIMC meeting
ever.  We’re
planning another big celebration!

*Contact nicole at ucimc.org for more infomation, or to help with planning any
of these events.
*

*
*

*Please support our ability to continue to bring low-cost, high interest
events to our community!  You can donate to the UCIMC at:
http://ucimc.org/content/donate-uc-imc* or email finance at ucimc.org with
questions about donations.  Thank you!