[Imc-events] Coming this month to the IMC!

Alex Cline alex at ucimc.org
Mon Apr 2 20:05:54 UTC 2012

Hi Indymediasketeers!

Check out what we've got in store for you this month:

First and foremost, we're doing a drive for new, unopened bottles of lotion
for the women of Dwight Correctional Center to be given as Mothers' Day
gifts in partnership with For Life Ministries. Please drop off all
donations at the IMC between 9 and 5 on weekdays. We will be collecting
until April 25th.

[image: Inline image 1]

Illinois Association for Infant Mental Health Spring
Seminar<http://www.ucimc.org/content/illinois-association-infant-mental-health-spring-seminar>

*Apr 3 2012 - 10:00am - 12:00pm*

"Filling in the Gaps" - What Babies Tell Themselves About Loss
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Delreen Schmidt-Lenz
Phone Number:
217 343 9337
Email Address:
delreen at consolidated.net

Punk/Indie Show - Midstress/Lizard Police/Anna
Karenina<http://www.ucimc.org/content/punkindie-show-midstresslizard-policeanna-karenina>

*Apr 9 2012 - 8:00pm - 11:30pm*

Lizard Police (Technical Pop Punk from Tulsa, OK) lizardpolice.bandcamp.com
Midstress (Local Screamy Pop-Punk) midstress.bandcamp.com
Anna Karenina/Anna Karina () annak-annak.bandcamp.com
Contact Information
Contact Name:
C-U Collective
Phone Number:
217-621-4612
Email Address:
rmccoy217 at gmail.com

IMC Lobby Renovation Project -
Dedication<http://www.ucimc.org/content/imc-lobby-renovation-project-dedication>

*Apr 13 2012 - 5:30pm - 6:00pm*

Celebrate the dedication of the IMC's Lobby Renovation with faculty
partners from the UI school of Architecture.
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Chris Ritzo
Email Address:
critzo at ucimc.org

Kids Give Benefit
Concert<http://www.ucimc.org/content/kids-give-benefit-concert>

*Apr 13 2012 - 6:00pm - 11:00pm*

Kids Give is a charity which gives scholarships to underprivileged high
school students in Sierra Leone, Africa. The benefit concert will feature
local bands and artists, such as Fredward, Emily Otnes, Vermicious Kids,
and Sonny Stubble. Cover cost for entry will be $5 and food and drink will
be sold.
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Taskin Sehitoglu
Phone Number:
217-840-7238
Email Address:
tsehitoglu at gmail.com

Urbana-Champaign Mini Maker Faire
2012<http://www.ucimc.org/content/urbana-champaign-mini-maker-faire-2012>

*Apr 14 2012 - 10:00am - 4:00pm*

*What is MakerFaire?* Urbana-Champaign Mini Maker Faire is a one-day,
family-friendly event that celebrates arts, crafts, engineering, music,
science, and technology projects and the Do-It-Yourself spirit in our
community. At the UC Mini Maker Faire, the focus is on the process of
making -- not just the finished product.

Emerging from MAKE Magazine, Make: Online, and CRAFT, Maker Faires have
rapidly made a significant impact on American culture today. These regional
events feature things people create themselves, from James Bond-worthy
electronic gizmos to robotics and rockets to crafts. There has been
extensive national coverage of the “maker movement” in publications such as
the New York Times, CNN, and ABC News.

We hope to inspire, inform, educate, and entertain our local community of
highly imaginative people who are transforming technology and crafting with
unconventional and even renegade techniques and materials.
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Sarah Dolinar
Phone Number:
217 552 2610
Email Address:
sarahdolinar at gmail.com

The Outside Track in
Concert<http://www.ucimc.org/content/outside-track-concert>

*Apr 17 2012 - 8:00pm - 10:30pm*

Presented by Piper's Hut concerts

http://www.folkandroots.org

Admission is $20, $10 students and seniors

A stunning synthesis of virtuosity and energy, The Outside Track's marriage
of Canadian, Scottish and Irish music and song has been rapturously
received around the world. Hailing from Scotland, Ireland, Cape Breton and
Vancouver, its five members are united by a love of traditional music and a
commitment to creating new music on its foundation. Using fiddle,
accordion, harp, guitar, flute, step-dance and vocals these five virtuosos
blend boundless energy with unmistakable joie de vivre.

Each player within The Outside Track is a master of their chosen instrument
with the band stacking up an impressive amount of international awards.
This amount of talent alone would be enough to recommend the band but in
this case the end result is so much greater than the sum of the parts.
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Dean Karres
Phone Number:
217-493-4654
Email Address:
pipers.hut at gmail.com

   - Read more <http://www.ucimc.org/content/outside-track-concert>
   - 170 reads
   - hide<http://www.ucimc.org/hidden/node/9433/hide?destination=jcalendar%2Fgetnode%2F9433%2Fcalendar.9433.field_start.0.5+calendar+monthview>
   - report<http://www.ucimc.org/hidden/node/9433/report?destination=jcalendar%2Fgetnode%2F9433%2Fcalendar.9433.field_start.0.5+calendar+monthview>
   - report to Mollom<http://www.ucimc.org/mollom/report/node/9433?destination=jcalendar%2Fgetnode%2F9433%2Fcalendar.9433.field_start.0.5+calendar+monthview>

Books To Prisoners Spring Book
Sale<http://www.ucimc.org/content/spring-book-sale>
*Apr 18 2012 - Apr 22 2012*

 <http://www.books2prisoners.org/images/flyers/b2p_booksale_spring_2012.pdf>Help
us Promote this sale
Download & Circulate Flyers: 4 x
4<http://www.books2prisoners.org/images/flyers/b2p_booksale4x4_spring_2012_4up.pdf>
 | 8.5 x 11<http://www.books2prisoners.org/images/flyers/b2p_booksale_spring_2012.pdf>

*Pages for Pennies
Spring Book Sale
*
Apr 20th - 22nd, 2012
202 S. Broadway Ave Urbana IL

HOURS:
Friday 4-8pm
Saturday 8-5pm
Sunday 10am-2pm*

<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urbana-Champaign-Books-to-Prisoners/68523183368><https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urbana-Champaign-Books-to-Prisoners/68523183368>
Get free books & help us promote the sale
by becoming a fan on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Urbana-Champaign-Books-to-Prisoners/68523183368>
*
$0.75 soft covers, $1 hardbacks
*Bag Sale Sunday (fill a bag for $5)*

Contact Information
Contact Name:
Jay Schubert
Phone Number:
12174176837
Email Address:
jay.schubert at gmail.com

Poetry/Spoken Word Slam<http://www.ucimc.org/content/poetryspoken-word-slam>

*Apr 20 2012 - 7:00pm - 10:00pm*

Poetry and Spoken Word Slam.

Prizes, judges, cost of entry to contest ($10) and event entry cost ($5)
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Aaron Ammons
Phone Number:
217 721-0934 or 217 707-7063
Email Address:
livingsoul at sbcglobal.net

SDAS performance & SURGE film
fest<http://www.ucimc.org/content/sdas-performance-surge-film-fest>

*Apr 26 and 27 2012 - 7:30pm - 10:30pm*

End-of-session performances by participants in the School for Designing a
Society, combined with the touring film festival S.U.R.G.E. (Social
Uprising, Resistance & Grassroots Encouragement).
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Mark Enslin
Phone Number:
212-518-3018
Email Address:
enslin.mark at gmail.com

Midwest Zine Fest <http://www.ucimc.org/content/midwest-zine-fest-0>

*Apr 28 2012 - 10:00am - 11:30pm*

Second annual Midwest Zine Fest! Come hear speakers, meet cool people,
trade & buy zines. Schedule and more info coming soon at
http://midwestzinefest.ucimc.org
Contact Information
Contact Name:
Chris Ritzo
Email Address:
chris.ritzo at gmail.com

FINALLY, I'd like to invite you all to come to a screening of the new
documentary *The Invisible War* hosted by Central Illinois Iraq Veterans
Against the War, Central Illinois Civillian-Soldier Alliance, and the
Women's Resource Center.

[image: Inline image 1]

Today, a female soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan is more likely to be raped
by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire. Sexual assault within the
ranks is so frequent that one in three female service members are
raped while in the military. These crimes are routinely covered up by the
chain of command, with higher-ranking officers granted virtual impunity for
assaulting junior service members.

As part of National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Central Illinois Iraq
Veterans Against the War and Civillian-Soldier Alliance, in
conjunction with the University of Illinois Women's Resource Center will be
screening The Invisible War, a documentary on the that examines the
epidemic levels of sexual assault in the military which debuted this
January at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. Focusing on the powerfully
emotional stories of multiple rape victims, The Invisible War is a moving
indictment of the systemic cover-up of military sex crimes, chronicling the
women’s struggles to rebuild their lives and fight for justice. It also
features hard-hitting interviews with high-ranking military officials and
members of Congress that reveal the perfect storm of conditions that exist
for rape in the military, its long-hidden history, and what can be done to
bring about much-needed change.

The screening will be followed by a discussion of what we can do to end
sexual assault in the military and in our communities. The event is free
and open to the public.

The event is co-sponsored by: College of Law, University of Illinois
Veteran's Affairs, Counseling Center, American Association of University
Women—Champaign Chapter, Channing-Murray Foundation, Sexual Health Peers
(SHP), National Organization for Women (UIUC), Gender and Women's Studies,
Department of Psychology, Rape Advocacy Counseling and Education Services
(RACES), and Men Against Sexual Violence.

*A sample of some of the testimony contained in the film:*

THERESA VERDERBER-PHILLIPS: When you report something, you better be
prepared for the repercussions.

CAPT. DEBRA DICKERSON: If a man gets accused of rape, it’s a setup, the
woman is lying.

REBECCA CATAGNUS: I could choose to report it, but if I wasn’t—you know, if
they found that what I saying wasn’t to be truthful, then that I would be
reduced in rank.

ALLISON GILL: You could lose your rate, you could lose rank, you could lose
your school, if you file a false report. So do you want to file a report?

CHRISTINA JONES: Even with the rape kit and everything, and the—my friend
catching him raping me, they still don’t believe me.

TANDY FINK: I reported it two different times to my squad leader. And he
told me that there is nothing he can do about it, because I didn’t have any
proof.

ANDREA WERNER: They actually did charge me with adultery. I wasn’t married.
He was.

TIA CHRISTOPHER: They took me before my lieutenant commander. He says, "You
think this is funny?" And I say, "What do you mean?" He’s like, "Is this
all a joke to you?" I was like, "What do you mean?" And he goes, "You’re
the third girl to report rape this week. Are you guys like all in cahoots?
You think this is a game?"

(Source: Democracy Now, January 30
2012.<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/30/%20the_invisible_war_new_film_exposes>
)

*Event Details in Brief:*
*The Invisible War | Film Screening*
*Thursday, April 12th at 7:30pm*
*Allen Hall's Main Lounge (1005 W. Gregory Dr., MC-050, Urbana, IL 61801)*
*Featuring post-film talk-back*
*Free and open to the public. Refreshments will be provided.*

I look forward to seeing you all at the IMC this month!

Thanks,

Alex Cline
Venue Coordinator
202 S. Broadway #100