[Imc-events] Coming to an IMC near you: Celebrating Women's Suffrage, Charlie King and Karen Brandow, and the Fourth Annual Malawi Mixer

Alex Cline alex at ucimc.org
Thu Mar 7 21:01:11 UTC 2013

Hi everyone!

We've got a lot of exciting things coming up over the next few weeks at the
IMC!

*March 9: Centennial Re-Enactment of the Women’s Suffrage March on
Washington, D.C.*

The Champaign-Urbana Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
will be hosting a re-enactment of the historic Women’s Suffrage March of
1913, in honor of both the sorority’s 100th anniversary and the chapter’s 40
th anniversary of service to the Champaign-Urbana and surrounding
communities. The march will be held on Saturday, March 9th, 2013 beginning
at 10 am. Participants will march from the Independent Media Center (202 S
Broadway Ave, Urbana, IL 61801) around Lincoln Square Mall to celebrate the
strides women have made throughout history and to bring awareness to
various present day issues women face.

Upon arrival, participants will sign-in and receive information on various
women’s issues from the partnering organizations. Participating
organizations include Crisis Nursery, Community Elements, The Pregnancy
Resource Center, Unity in Action Magazine, Uni High School, Generation
Next, African American Club of Central High School, and Gamma Upsilon Psi
Society. The event will conclude at the Independent Media Center with a
short program highlighting domestic violence followed by refreshments. This
is an educational and social engagement activity for all ages. We encourage
family participation, individuals as well as male membership organizations
to join us as we march in solidarity.

The public service organization, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated,
was founded on January 13, 1913 and participated in the Women’s
SuffrageMarch in DC as the organization’s first official act of
service in the name
of community involvement. 100 years later, Delta Sigma Theta remains
committed to sisterhood, scholarship, and public service.

The event is free and open to the public. For more information, follow us
on Twitter: @DeltasCUAlumnae; like our facebook group: Delta Sigma Theta
Sorority, Inc. Champaign-Urbana Alumnae Chapter; or visit our website:
www.dstcualumnaechapter.org

March 10, 2013 - 7:00pm - 9:30pm: UCIMC Presents Charlie King and Karen
Brandow

Admission to the concert is $10, $8 students

Check them out at http://www.charlieking.org

Charlie King and Karen Brandow are musical storytellers and political
satirists. Their repertoire covers a century and a half and four
continents. They perform with the sweet and precise harmonies of life
partners. They sing and write passionately about the extraordinary lives of
ordinary people. “Two voices that complement each other beautifully &
instrumentation that is spare, acoustic & just right” Victory Music Review

Their central vision as entertainers is to leave audiences with a sense of
optimism and possibility about the future. “We try to cover a broad
emotional landscape in our concerts. The stories we collect and the songs
we write take the listener on a journey of humor, heartache and hope. What
we most value in a song is the way it helps us see an old reality in a
totally new light.”

Charlie King has been at the heart of American folk music for over 40
years. His songs have been recorded and sung by other performers such as
Pete Seeger, Holly Near, Ronnie Gilbert, John McCutcheon, Arlo Guthrie,
Peggy Seeger, Chad Mitchell and Judy Small. Honors include an “Indie” award
for one of the top three American folk recordings of 1984. In May of 1998
the War Resisters League gave their Peacemaker Award to Charlie and to
Odetta. Pete Seeger nominated Charlie for the Sacco-Vanzetti Social Justice
Award, which he received in November 1999. Charlie has released a dozen
solo albums since 1976. He has also released three albums with the touring
ensemble Bright Morning Star, and numerous compilation albums with other
artists.

Charlie was born in 1947, and was raised in Brockton, MA. He cites as
musical influences the folk music revival of the 1960’s, the civil rights
movement and the Vietnam War era. Folk legend Peggy Seeger says, “If we had
more Charlie Kings in the world I’d be less worried,” and Tom Paxton adds,
“Luckily, we have him!”

Karen Brandow has been performing with Charlie King since 1998. While doing
human rights work in Guatemala from 1986-1994, Karen studied voice,
performance and classical guitar. She performed at political and cultural
events in that country as a soloist and was a founding member of the a
cappella singing group, the Non-Traditional Imports.

Karen was born in 1954 in Philadelphia, PA. She began singing and playing
guitar as a teenager. While living in Central America, she broadened her
repertoire to include Latin American music of the “Nueva Canción” or New
Song Movement. She performs songs in English and Spanish.

 Contact Name:
 Ed Hawkes
  Phone Number:
 217-493-4654
  Email Address:
 oltime1 at att.net

*March 26, 6-8 PM: Malawi Mixer #4*

Live music, dancing, food and more, in celebration of Urbana's sister city
of Zomba, Malawi! Be there or be square.

I look forward to seeing you all at the IMC this month, everyone!

Thanks,

Alex Cline
Venue Coordinator
202 S. Broadway #100