[Imc-events] Tuesday, October 1 - The Graduates - Los Graduados - Film Screening

Carletta Donaldson carlettadonaldson0713 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 05:59:27 UTC 2013

****I’m writing to remind you about the Community Cinema screening and
discussion of * Los Graduados/The Graduates* about the Latino dropout
problem and what can be done to address it. Our free event is Tuesday, Oct.
1, at the Spurlock Museum on the U of I campus, 600 S. Gregory Ave.,
Urbana, just east of the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at 7:00pm.

We would love to have a large crowd of people interested in the issue, so
we hope you can come and bring two or three friends and associates. We have
a great discussion panel lined up: *Jorge Chapa, University of Illinois
professor of sociology and Latina/Latino studies; Alejandra Coronel,
president and CEO of Coronel Bilingual Services, and language services
supervisor at Presence Covenant Medical Center, Urbana; Sue Grey, president
and CEO of the United Way of Champaign County; and Samuel Banks, CEO of the
Don Moyer Boys & Girls Club in Champaign.  There will also be
representatives from CU Immigration Forum and La Colectiva, a student
organization at the University of Illinois that exists to address the
challenges faced by the immigrant community within Champaign-Urbana.*

The event will feature one part of a two-part documentary that looks at the
many roots of the Latino dropout crisis through the eyes of six inspiring
young students who are part of an ongoing effort to increase graduation
rates for a growing Latino population. These student profiles offer a
first-hand perspective on the challenges facing many Latino high school
students, including over-crowded schools, crime-ridden neighborhoods, teen
pregnancy and pressure to contribute to the family finances.****

The film will broadcast on WILL-TV Channel 12/Comcast Channel 13 on Monday,
October 28 (the girls/Latina) and Monday, November 4 (the boys/Latino) at
9:00pm CST.  The program will also be presented in Spanish on the
Spanish-language channel V-me and online at PBS.org.

You have important insights to add! Hope to see you there.****

** **

Sincerely,****

Carletta J. Donaldson, Assistant Producer

Community Cinema Film Series

Illinois Public Media

300 N. Goodwin Avenue

Urbana, IL 61801