[Imc-fiscalissue] Re: [Imc] (no subject)

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Wed Jun 1 20:09:49 CDT 2005

David Gehrig wrote:
> The draft webpage from the imc-fiscalissue group is available at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~zemblan/draft.html
>
> Please add discussion of this statement to the Steering group
> agenda for June 2.

The URL that David posted is the Ad-Hoc Fiscal Issue working group's
official recommendation to be the permanent FAQ that we use to explain
fiscal sponsorship.

The Fiscal Issue group has ALSO compiled the following one-time
statement to be issued in repsonse to the immediate controversy. This
should also be on the agenda for June 2nd (tomorrow)'s steering
meeting. We recommend that steering adopt this statement and issue it
locally and to the global imc-communication list.

(We attempted to vet these documents with the Finance Group tonight
but no one from Finance that was not already attending Fiscal Issue
meetings showed up.)

STATEMENT:

DRAFT We, the UCIMC Steering Group, wish to apologize for the
DRAFT misunderstanding created by the recent statement made by Sascha
DRAFT Meinrath at a press conference announcing the purchase of the UCIMC's
DRAFT new building:
DRAFT
DRAFT    "There's [sic] over 150 Independent Media Centers in 50 plus countries
DRAFT    worldwide. And this IMC here in Urbana-Champaign is the umbrella under
DRAFT    which the entire global network operates. We are in essence the global
DRAFT    headquarters for the Indymedia movement, here in Urbana."
DRAFT
DRAFT This statement does not reflect the attitude, position, or reality of
DRAFT the UCIMC's policies or operations. The UCIMC is not in any sense or
DRAFT essence the global headquarters for the Indymedia movement. The UCIMC
DRAFT is not an umbrella for the global network. That is simply not true and
DRAFT we apologize for letting those implications go unchecked.
DRAFT
DRAFT We further wish to note that the above statement was in fact made and
DRAFT accurately reported by our radio volunteer, Dave Berliner. We
DRAFT apologize for any implication that his report was inaccurate.
DRAFT
DRAFT We understand that organizationally we hold some responsibility for
DRAFT the misunderstanding created by this statement because our fiscal
DRAFT relationships have not been sufficiently communicated. We are taking
DRAFT active steps to change that.
DRAFT
DRAFT We wish to clarify that our role as fiscal sponsors for other
DRAFT organizations is merely tactical. We understand that this fact has not
DRAFT always been clear. We simply collect and distribute money for some
DRAFT Indymedia projects. This tactical role does not imply that we hold a
DRAFT position of power over these projects.
DRAFT
DRAFT We now recommend that, when our volunteers speak of our role as fiscal
DRAFT sponsor, they should use the following statement:
DRAFT
DRAFT   The Indymedia network operates on principles of autonomy and
DRAFT   non-hierarchy, and the UC-IMC strongly affirms these principles. The
DRAFT   UC-IMC, a 501c3 non-profit organization, hosts the funds of a number
DRAFT   of other projects, including some other Indymedia collectives.  This
DRAFT   is a service we provide only at the request of these other
DRAFT   organizations.
DRAFT
DRAFT We will also provide a link to a FAQ about our role as fiscal
DRAFT sponsor. In the interest of increased transparency, the FAQ will
DRAFT include up to date information about who we fiscally sponsor and how
DRAFT our fiscal sponsorship process operates.

Text of this statement can be found here:

http://misc.chambana.net/statement.txt

--
Zachary C. Miller - @= - http://zach.chambana.net/