[Imc-fiscalissue] Fiscal statement position

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed May 25 10:44:48 CDT 2005

I probably will not be able to attend the meeting tonight,
so a brief statement of my position follows:

I think we should state what we do in a way that credits us
for our contributions without representing that we are in
any sense in charge, because 1) we aren't in charge, but
rather are simply serving the IMC movement, and 2) claiming
we are in charge in some sense is offensive between non-
hierarchical organizations of volunteers.

It is particularly harmful when we represent that UCIMC is
in any sense superior to foreign IMCs, who rightly are
particularly sensitive to US arrogance. Even if this did
no harm to the IMC movement, which I believe it does, I
don't think imperial America is something that any of us
want to be associated with in any way.

Bob