[Imc-makerspace] Windows Vista restricts non-Win32 apps to 32MB of memory

makerspace.derekdagit at spamgourmet.com makerspace.derekdagit at spamgourmet.com
Thu Dec 30 12:00:07 CST 2010

> Microsoft's campaign against open-source software

Nah, if there is such a campaign, this isn't part of it.

The memory restriction is on things running as DOS32 executables (all of
them, not just such executables that happen to be created using
open-source).  Anything running in Vista's NT Dos Virtual Machine is
limited in this way, but that's not how we want to compile our OSS
anyway.

MS has actually put together a GNU SDK and Utilities package
specifically so that you can properly compile with GCC and get access to
system calls and libraries, and this has no memory restriction.  It also
allows compilation of 64-bit binaries.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=93FF2201-325E-487F-A398-EFDE5758C47F&displaylang=en&pf=true

--
Derek