[Imc-makerspace] The Story So Far...

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 16:46:53 CST 2010

The following was copied from the IMC Tech Working Group backpage
node: http://tech.backpage.ucimc.org/node/752

Begin Copied Discussion

Mu By-Laws review
bsheppard
bsheppard 12:18pm Feb 25, 2010
Referenced Page:
By-Laws Review

Punch and Pie?

My personal goals for this event are;

-Key Support Positions Established
-central point of contact
-finances
-records

-Organization goals
-Consensus/decision making clause
-Definition of what a member is and what they can expect for their participation
-Dues
-Liability waiver
-How to change this document

Additions? Subtractions? Discuss.

chux0r
chux0r 11:54am Yesterday

My goal is to make it as simple and elegant as we can make it, with
lots of hooks for possibilities in the future.

I like pie. What kind of pie?

bcduggan
bcduggan 5:39pm Yesterday

I think that organizational structure should only be defined to solve problems.

The most pressing problem we have right now is revenue. Renting space
and running workshops and buying materials to build stuff cost money
and right now the only source of revenue is donations.

I feel that we only need to define membership at this point. By
defining membership, we can codify membership dues. Unfortunately,
right now membership dues are our only solid form of revenue. From my
perspective, there aren't any other problems that organizational
structure would solve. If the problem doesn't exist, then we don't
need the structure.

I like the idea of hooks because it allows us to progressively define
structures on an as-needed basis.

Can we spike the punch?

bsheppard
bsheppard 10:29am Today

Current Issues - We have one person doing all three of these jobs and
I dont like it. This is an issue. I'm sorry if this steps on your
power structure but it needs to be fixed

-We have money coming in and out. We should keep track of this. Hence
the need for a financial officer

-We have meeting minutes and a need to record volunteer hours hence
the need for some sort of secretary.

-Central point of contact. I cant think of any organization that does
not have a central point of contact.

We need to have the liability waiver in there.

We need to plan a little for the future so we dont have to revisit
this document every few months.

This is a legal document and should be treated as such.

Grants often require some sort of organizational structure before
giving you money.

If we ever apply for non-profit status outside of the IMC structure we
will need an organizational structure.

bcduggan
bcduggan 3:35pm Today

This discussion should be public. Can we take this to
imc-makerspace at lists.chambana.net? I'll respond there.

believed to be clean.