[Imc-makerspace] July 7 Minutes

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Fri Jul 9 09:20:08 CDT 2010

Here are my contributions:

Mu Minutes
2010.07.07

Matt:
Pumping Station One visit/road trip.  3354 North Elston Avenue, Chicago, IL 60618  http://pumpingstationone.org

Matt: 501(c)3 status? Bank account? New space with artists' co-op in DT Urbana?

	Shared Space Artist's Co-op, Susan Pryde, Director;  123 W. Main St., Suite 101, Urbana
	417-4407     sharedspacecoop at Comcast.net
	I attended their grand opening and met the Director and some members.

Brian: Benefits of IMC.

	IMC Community Connections    http://www.ucimc.org/content/community-connections-meeting-0
	Every Monday of the week 5-7pm   E-mail list: community at lists.chambana.net

	IMC Open House Aug. 7 11:00AM

	Should examine space issue at end of year. Primary concern is budget right now.

	Budget review when Joy gets back.

Chuck, Barry: Discussion of Coffee bot plans!

General discussion of budget issues. Matt has agreed to look at budget with Brian. Brian will send budget info to Matt. Also sharing with Stewart and Gergana.

Brian: Dispensing info about Indymedia Arts Lab, Maker Faire and IMC Open House

	Indy Media Arts Lab  July 26th-August 5th
	http://www.ucimc.org/content/uc-imc-announces-second-annual-indymedia-arts-lab-enroll-now

Gergana: Fundraising opporutunities: kickstarter.com

	Josh is looking at Kickstarter?

	Connect UC-IMC Donate -> Paypal -> Makerspace account to MakerspaceU.org site/page

Stewart: Requirements are a 2000-word description of project goal. Deal is that you set a budget and people contribute to that budget on kickstarter

	Kickstarter writes:
 	A series of creative and engaging backer rewards is essential. Your rewards should reflect the
	personality of both you and your project -- and they should offer something tangible to your supporters.
	Having a few reasonably priced rewards will help incorporate everybody who is interested in what you are
	doing, even those only able to contribute $1-$10. Every buck counts! ... Rewards are all about creatively
	incorporating your backers into the experience of what you are doing.
	Take a look at popular projects for inspiration!
	http://www.kickstarter.com/e/63WNA/projects/by/recommended?category=Art

	Stewart:
	It isn't too clear from the project entry page, but the rewards are merchandise tiered with
	$10, $20, $50, $75, $100, $250, $500... pledge levels.
	So, our rewards would be Makerspace-made projects or kits -- "free" with a certain-level donation.

	The description is more on the order of 2000 characters, not words.

Discussion of powered bicycle project and cooperation with the Bike Co-op and the Illinois EV Club.

Barry: Can open space and be keystaff

	Popular Electronics -> http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/PopularElectronics/Popular_Electronics.htm
> In November 1982 the magazine became Computers & Electronics and that
> title stopped publication in April 1985. Many of the editors and
> authors moved to a new magazine, Modern Electronics. The title Popular
> Electronics was sold to Gernsback Publications and their Hands-on
> Electronics magazine was renamed to Popular Electronics in February
> 1989. This version was published until it was merged with Electronics
> Now to become Poptronics in January 2000. In late 2002 Gernsback
> Publications went out of business and the January 2003 Poptronics was
> the last issue.
Item for the "Need" list -- we now have pens;  We now need pads of scratch paper.

Sean: Can open space and be keystaff

Brian: Will get keys for Barry and Sean

	http://omnicorpdetroit.com  3420 CASS AVE, SUITE 304 --- DETROIT
	JEFF.STURGES (@) GMAIL.COM / CALL: 917-679-1051

	http://makerfaire.com
	9:30AM - 8:00PM July 31 & 9:30AM - 5:00PM August 1, The Henry Ford, Dearborn, MI

	A list of Tech/Community grants to apply for -- Brian D. and Matt?

	http://www.michiganimc.org -- site is a little bit rough -- can't find where they're located

Stewart was taking notes as well.

	Jonathan Manton -- Blinky boards for IMC Indy Media Arts Lab?

	Illinois EV Club

                 Bryan Wilcox
                Sugar Rides Inc.
                217-417-2578
                www.SugarRides.com

                Electric Motor Conversion Kit -- Instructables Mountain
Bike Motor
                e-bike kit

	FM transmitter lab

	Vistaprint.com $0.99 business cards

	http://www.paia.com/bckit1

	How to get copies of "Make" Magazine to distribute in the Makerspace?