[Imc-makerspace] Makerspace Urbana Constitution DRAFT

Chuck Geigner arcadechuck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 22:22:29 CST 2010

Take a look at the new Makerspace Constitution (below). Harvey, Brian
D, Brian S, Rachael, Ivan, and I met tonight to hammer out the details
of our founding document. There are many revisions, so take a look.
This will be up for approval by consensus at our meeting on tomorrow
(Wednesday Mar 3) evening.

Yes, we got it down to a page! yessssss :)

DRAFT Makerspace Urbana Constitution DRAFT

Declaration :: The organization shall be known as "Makerspace Urbana".

Mission Statement :: "Makerspace Urbana is dedicated to enabling the
blend of arts, humanites, science and technology. Our mission is to
provide an open community lab where people of diverse backgrounds can
learn, teach, tinker, collaborate, share, innovate, socialize, and
create."

Governance ::

All decicions are made by consensus at regular meetings by Makerspace
Urbana members.

Membership ::

Membership is open to all.

Members who are current with their space access fees, or those who
have received dispensation for financial hardship may participate in
organizational decisions.

Compliance with the Space Access policy [[link]] and proper filing of
[[__release of liability, covenant not to sue form__]] with the
organization allows an individual to work in the Makerspace.

Roles:

Roles may be fulfilled by one or more Makerspace members.

Treasurer: The Treasurer role is responsible for official financial
transactions and considerations on behalf of the organization as
defined in the Operating Code [[link]].

Secretary: The Secretary role prepares and maintains official
organizational records, and performs organizational administrative
tasks, as defined in the Operating Code [[link]].

Outreach: The Outreach role maintains the organizational communication
plan, facilitates public relations, creates web content, and other
vital communications, as defined in the Operating Code.

Operations:

Operating Code :: An Operating Code [[link]] shall be maintained and
outline day-to-day operational details important to running the
day-to-day operations of Makerspace Urbana.

General ::

Transparency: A reasonable effort will be made by the organization to
make all Makerspace Urbana documentation freely available online.

Green: A reasonable effort will be made by the organization to use
non-toxic materials and dispose of waste in an environmentally safe
manner.

Amendments :: This Constitution may be amended by a consensus of the
membership at a regular meeting.

Exceptions :: Matters not covered under the current Constitution, AUP
or Operating Code will be resolved by the membership at a regular
meeting.
Chuck Geigner
<arcadechuck at gmail.com>
http://herdingelectrons.blogspot.com