[Imc-makerspace] Nutshell Makerspace Mission Statement

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Thu May 6 16:43:30 CDT 2010

I still like this one:

http://fab.cba.mit.edu/about/charter/
The Fab Charter
> Mission: fab labs are a global network of local labs, enabling
> invention by providing access for individuals to tools for digital
> fabrication.
>
> Access: you can use the fab lab to make almost anything (that doesn't
> hurt anyone); you must learn to do it yourself, and you must share use
> of the lab with other uses and users
>
> Education: training in the fab lab is based on doing projects and
> learning from peers; you're expected to contribute to documentation
> and instruction
>
> Responsibility: you're responsible for:
>
> safety: knowing how to work without hurting people or machines
> cleaning up: leaving the lab cleaner than you found it
> operations: assisting with maintaining, repairing, and reporting on
> tools, supplies, and incidents
>
> Secrecy: designs and processes developed in fab labs must remain
> available for individual use although intellectual property can be
> protected however you choose
>
> Business: commercial activities can be incubated in fab labs but they
> must not conflict with open access, they should grow beyond rather
> than within the lab, and they are expected to benefit the inventors,
> labs, and networks that contribute to their success.
I think that we can easily adapt it to fit the Makerspace.

-Stewart, http://us.imdb.com/Name?Stewart+Dickson
http://www.ifp.uiuc.edu/~sdickson
http://emsh.calarts.edu/~mathart/MathArt_siteMap.html
http://delicious.com/MathArtSPD