[Imc-makerspace] Makerspace September meeting minutes

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 17:47:13 CDT 2010

Makerspace Urbana Minutes
September 1, 2010

Attendance:
Brian, Stewart, Gergana, Derek, Carl, Sean

FIRST Robotics team stuff:

Brian: FIRST Robotics Competition wants to partner with Makerspace. It
involves a team of high schoolers and adult mentors making use of a
large chunk of our space permanently. Of course, the team will also be
in the space for work sessions.

FIRST dates: Sept 10 at 7 in the Makerspace: Mentor's meeting. Anyone
who wants to be a mentor should come.
Oct 11: Inaugural UC FIRST team competition in Chicago

Gergana: Will we be able to share tools & materials?
Will we ask students or mentors to become members of Makerspace?
Will mentors be Makerspace keyholders?

UPDATE Brian: I talked to Meme and we think that it would be mutually
beneficial to share tools. The team will need its own locker to keep
materials so that there's no confusion. Makerspace will also need to
secure our more dangerous materials.

Also, mentors will be welcome to become members (and we should invite
them), but will not get a key for free. Whenever the team needs to work
Meme or Brian will always be around to let them have access to the space.

Derek: Employer might be interested in funding or sponsoring the team.
Need: list of members and mentors, expenses and types, organizational
bank account.

Makerspace Fundraising stuff:

Gergana: Too late to do fundraiser on September 9. We didn't advertise
at all. Games still the same? Dominoes & Backgammon?

Derek: Settlers of Catan is a big game for a lot of people. Perhaps more
viable to do a tourney around one game with a rabid fanbase?

How many copies do we need? Need boards.
What rules do we play by? Need refs.

Derek: suggest talk to the owner of a local comic store to get
tips/materials/help from someone experienced in putting on Settlers
tourneys.

Derek: Volunteers to visit the comic shop on Tuesday, September 7
between 5-6pm. Brian will go, too. Others welcome.

Still ideal to hold fundraiser in IMC. Opportunity to show off Makerspace.

Group Projects:

RepStrap? We've got some stepper motors and chains!

Additions and updates?

Thanks!
Brian

--